• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

two of today's acquisitions

R-700940-1344516828-5496.jpeg.jpg

Gijs Hendriks Quartet - Close to the edge

with Siegfried Kessler on piano,which means it wasn't a purely intuitive buy - but nevertheless 4 Euros extremely well spent...

dievalLPbig.jpg

Relaxez vous avec Jacques Dieval et son quartette

I thought "Quartet could mean that someone interesting is added to Dieval's trio" and discovered the best-case scenario, Rene Thomas on half the tracks... recorded in 1966, unfortunately not in very good condition, but still a nice surprise

Can't justify this by and large on aesthetic grounds, but I've been listening to this a good deal lately because it's such a good sound-system test record  -- wide stereo spread, vivid piano sound (the whole rhythm section is vividly captured), a good many strings, solo winds, etc. Further -- and feel free to shoot me -- there are times when McCoy's evident involvement in this material kind of gets to me. John Clayton's writing is more than a bit ripe at  times, but that kind of fits the nature of the project.

Don't worry, I'll be back.

41PY5DFZPCL._AC_US218_.jpg

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Can't justify this by and large on aesthetic grounds, but I've been listening to this a good deal lately because it's such a good sound-system test record  -- wide stereo spread, vivid piano sound (the whole rhythm section is vividly captured), a good many strings, solo winds, etc. Further -- and feel free to shoot me -- there are times when McCoy's evident involvement in this material kind of gets to me. John Clayton's writing is more than a bit ripe at  times, but that kind of fits the nature of the project.

Don't worry, I'll be back.

41PY5DFZPCL._AC_US218_.jpg

Reading this reminds me that I have a Japanese issue of a KD LP that doesn't do all that much for me on a musical level, but the sound - especially the way it captures the sound of the trumpet - is wonderful. I've kept it for that reason alone.

3 hours ago, Niko said:

R-700940-1344516828-5496.jpeg.jpg

Gijs Hendriks Quartet - Close to the edge

with Siegfried Kessler on piano,which means it wasn't a purely intuitive buy - but nevertheless 4 Euros extremely well spent...

Niko -- I'm not familiar with Gijs Hendriks.  But your post piqued my curiosity.

I found this Hendriks album on YouTube, and I'm giving it a listen now:

R-6488979-1499491480-6452.jpeg.jpg

Very nice!

Notes on the album's page on Discogs:

GIJS HENDRIKS QUARTET
with Siegfried Kessler (p, el p), Bert van Erk (b), Michael Baird (d)
& guests Slide Hampton, Sonny Grey, Raul Burnet

These 1976-77 recordings are from the period with Franco-German pianist Siegfried Kessler.
This quartet was together for a year and a half. Frequent guests at the time were trombonist
Slide Hampton and trumpeter Sonny Grey -- both are featured here on two tracks each. And
the legendary conga drummer Raul Burnet is featured on one track.

Made over thirty-five years ago, these are historical recordings from a particularly creative
period of Gijs Hendriks, which were never released. Also fine playing by Slide, whose stay in
Europe was under-recorded. 

Recorded at Lucassound Studio, Hilversum, Holland October/November 1976 & January 1977.

Edited by HutchFan