Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Niko -- I'm not familiar with Gijs Hendriks.  But your post piqued my curiosity.

I found this Hendriks album on YouTube, and I'm giving it a listen now:

R-6488979-1499491480-6452.jpeg.jpg

Very nice!

I will definitely need that CD, too... ironically, Hendriks is easy to overlook because he recorded almost exclusively as a leader (more than 20 albums) but didn't have high-profile sideman dates... so unless you stumble the records or are a completist of one of his sidemen (Siegfried Kessler, Beaver Harris, Stan Tracey, Joe Diorio, Michel Herr, Kenny Wheeler being the most likely) he stays under the radar... I already had bought one of his other albums a few months ago, but the quartet with Kessler I like a lot better... nevertheless, it's getting another try:

R-2675413-1340301343-4305.jpeg.jpg

essentially the same band as on the other albums but with Stan Tracey in place of Kessler and a large horn section which includes Sandy Mosse (his first recording since the 50s? but he doesn't solo) and Kenny Wheeler... this is a fairly ambitious affair which has some great moments but is too complex for me overall...

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

93621385_o.jpg

Great album - it should be noted that it's a Clarke-Boland Octet accompanying him on this album. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just listened to this and must say, for me, Eckstine was the greatest. He is the first singer that made me listen to the lyrics to Stardust and other well known tunes, and what he does with them is stunning. There should be a Mosaic box of his MGM sides.

R-10590287-1500499953-2678.jpeg.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

R-1998831-1257692518.jpeg.jpg

Vaalbleek - Cleansing Department Orchestra - Gemeente Reinigingsorkest [from the album it's completely unclear which is the name of the band and which is the album title - but only one of them is provided in both English and Dutch - I guess it's the album's title]. I've thus moved from Utrecht [Gijs Hendriks] to the southern Netherlands [home], and this here may well be the most fun free jazz album I've ever heard... with tracks that would feel at home on an easy listening compilation... even though this clearly still is free jazz ca 1980, played by a line-up of guys [best-known: Paul van Kemenade] who (just like my self) went through their cities' brass+wind orchestras ("Harmonie"s, even though we didn't call them this), listened to their Soft Machine albums and never thought twice about carnival gigs (or at least: must have played them nevertheless).

Edited by Niko