Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ornette Coleman "Ornette!" from 1961.

During my youth this was not easy to purchase, I had listened to it at a friend´s place and later bought a CD reissue with a bonus track "Keen Writers" .

I great album with Scott LaFaro on bass. The strange thing it´s much more straight ahead than other Coleman albums of that time. "Town Hall" is much more advanced. Ornette himself has much more emotion in his playing than on other occasions. Mostly he played in a very simple and diatonic manner , modulating through different keys, many of them unusual keys in jazz like D natural for example. Here he´s more chromatic and on the same time much more along with a straight ahead beat.  Ed Blackwell is fantastic on T&T.

But the best thing is the bonus track. I´ve listend to the 4 issued tracks more often and know them, but I seemed to have forgotten about the bonus track......

Remembering Dave Brubeck

0000511456.jpg

Dis c 1 of 2

and also this

MI0002442944.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

on which DB appeared on one track, a performance of his and Iola's "God's Love Made Visible" (which has become one of my favorite Christmas songs).  Also appearing on this CD are Tito Puente, Lionel Hampton, Clark Terry, Grady Tate, Jackie & Roy, Toots Thielemans, Jon Faddis, Candido and many more.