• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For some dumb reason, I never heard this one before. Good band (Phil Urso, Hal Galper, Jymie Merritt, Charlie Rice), very well recorded. Chet is in A minus/B plus form, albeit a little insecure on flugelhorn at times. Several Dameron originals ("Soultrane," "Tadd's Delight," "Whatever Possess'd Me," "Gnid," "Mating Call"), two from Galper, plus Duke Jordan's "Flight to Jordan" and "Walkin'" -- Chet sings  on "Walkin,'" don't know who wrote the lyric, but doesn't take a solo on the tune. The way Chet plays the melody of "Soultrane" is  a bit hesitant but quite lovely. The surprise for me is Urso, never heard him in more vigorous form, not that far removed from JR Monterose.

51lJ1fw8ZpL._AC_US218_.jpg

On 12/18/2017 at 4:18 PM, T.D. said:

411.gif

On 12/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Fun record, as is the next one. I was working for Delmark when we bought the Transition tapes. I remember taking the tape reels to Bob Koester's apartment (one block away) to play them on Bob's Crown recorder. They were beautifully recorded for the time. Sound of Joy is dandy too.

41J0IRAVKHL.jpg 

Just an aside to say that I love reading your stories, Chuck - or, like this, not even stories, just little snippets of jazz and blues history.

On ‎18‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 10:28 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Fun record, as is the next one. I was working for Delmark when we bought the Transition tapes. I remember taking the tape reels to Bob Koester's apartment (one block away) to play them on Bob's Crown recorder. They were beautifully recorded for the time. Sound of Joy is dandy too.

41J0IRAVKHL.jpg 

An early acquaintance of mine with the world of Sun Ra ....