• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jodi Gilbert – The Voice is the Matter (Ramboy Records)
— Jodi Gilbert - voice, dulcimer; Michael Moore - clarinets, alto saxophone, tin whistle, melodica; Alexei Levin - piano, accordion; Ernst Glerum - bass; plus Michael Vatcher - drums.

MI0002021928.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Lovely record.  Very eclectic, yet holds together very well.  If you like Robin Holcomb, you should like this.

6 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

It appears that with the Woody Shaw NDR Info release, the vinyl version omits the announcements that are included on the cd but adds an extra track "Diane" that is not included on the cd.  It is usually the other way around.  The lp runs about 82 minutes; it would have been nice if the cd version included all of the tracks on the lp.

I am still upset that that the Blackstone Legacy cd was edited.

Thanks for the advisory on that. I listened to the Shaw a bit earlier and it took me right back to seeing this band live, some months after this recording, I will consider picking up the LP version, if I can find it at the right price.

I have ‘Blackstone’ on a white label Contemporary vinyl :)

Edited by sidewinder

Nucleus with Leon Thomas  "Live 1970"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_5xbwgBuSIw/VIVstuMKXTI/AAAAAAAAZdw/dto4B_WLPxs/s1600/nucleus%2Bwith%2Bleon%2Bthomas%2B1970%2Bcover%2Bart.jpg[/img

Nucleus with Leon Thomas  "Live 1970"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_5xbwgBuSIw/VIVstuMKXTI/AAAAAAAAZdw/dto4B_WLPxs/s1600/nucleus%2Bwith%2Bleon%2Bthomas%2B1970%2Bcover%2Bart.jpg[/img

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Always loved the Dorham (some fine Adderley there), and DeRose for me probably is the best female jazz vocalist of her vintage (though I can't think of all the others at the moment). Caught her several years ago at Smoke in NYC with this rhythm section IIRC and was impressed -- fine pianist too.

I don't think she has an especially memorable voice but she does put it to good use.

Her piano playing and arrangements are impressive.

Check out her Live At The Jazz Standard double set.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks for the advisory on that. I listened to the Shaw a bit earlier and it took me right back to seeing this band live, some months after this recording, I will consider picking up the LP version, if I can find it at the right price.

I have ‘Blackstone’ on a white label Contemporary vinyl :)

I hesitate on buying new vinyl, but I will probably make an exception for this.  Hopefully, it will include a download cod:P with all of the tracks.

I wonder if the lps are being mastered from an analog source?  Digitally mastered vinyl, in general, gives me the heebie jeebies.

I listened to some of the Dizzy -- the guitarist, Rodney Jones, sounds really good on that one.  It's a 2cd release with no omitted tracks.