• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been on an Ellington listening binge, just hopping around all eras. Just finished reading A Portrait of Duke Ellington by Derek Jewell and am getting in to The Duke Ellington Reader which has been sitting on my shelf for a while waiting for the right time. So i'm kind of immersed at the moment, and just loving it. 

MI0001827396.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0001226532.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

It's good that they spelled Boyd "Reaburn"'s name correctly on the back cover, at least.  Lucky Thompson is listed as a member of the Raeburn band, but he is not specifically featured on any one number (I guess a little, perhaps, on the Ray Linn Jazz Octet number), so it's a little misleading to post his name so prominently on the front cover.

11 hours ago, JohnS said:

MI0000332298.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Hooray for Johnny Lytle, an all too often overlooked master of the vibraphone!

8 hours ago, paul secor said:

Is this Nighthawk material?

I have a Gladiators LP - Serious Thing - and an LP - Dread Prophecy - where they back Ethiopian (Leonard Dillon). Both are on the Nighthawk label and both are great records.

Yes - Omnivore took over Nighthawk in 2017 and plans to reissue the Reagge sides .... beneath the Gladiators platter they brought to light an unreleased late 80's session by Ethopian titled "The Return of Jack Sparrow" - probably will try out this one too ... 

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-5430364-1393169280-1741.jpeg.jpg

Mable John: Stay Out of the Kitchen (Stax/Ace)

Hadn't listened to this in years. She recorded more good sides than I remembered.

Released definitely the heydays of archival soul releases .... beneath the great "1000`s of Volt" compilations the biggest surprise to me was the unreleased material by William Bell 

318d8af0b6.jpg

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Released definitely the heydays of archival soul releases .... beneath the great "1000`s of Volt" compilations the biggest surprise to me was the unreleased material by William Bell 

318d8af0b6.jpg

The Mable John album is great. I'll have to check out the William Bell .

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by kinuta

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

The Mable John album is great. I'll have to check out the William Bell .

Thanks for the heads up.

You´re welcome Kinuta .... another one not to be missed from this excellent series featured released and unreleased tracks from the Stax Gospel sublabel Chalice :

39e994c4b7.jpg