• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/9/2018 at 8:10 AM, felser said:

A crime that these have never been released on CD:

Image result for max roach in tokyo

Very briefly on CD from Japan.

There's one on ebay right now for a mere 90 euro...:P

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAX-ROACH-QUARTET-CD-LIVE-IN-TOKYO-Japan-Denon-C38-7006/162426007574?hash=item25d1583016:g:BpQAAOSw2gxYwroi

Now playing,

qxwdio.jpg

Billy Harper - In Europe (Soul Note)

Edited by Marzz

Ralph Bowen, Self-titled

Ralph Bowen - Ralph Bowen

1. Cache Cache
2. A Rookery of Ravens
3. A Leap of Leopards
4. A Pademonium of Parrots
5. A Flamboyance of Flamingos
6. A Venue of Vultures
7. A Cast of Crabs
8. Aye
9. Picadilly Lilly
10. Search For Peace

Personnel: Ralph Bowen, tenor sax; Jim Ridl, piano; Kenny Davis, bass; Cliff Almond, drums
Label: Positone Records

I think some of the animal collective nouns are of dubious accuracy. Anyhow, good session.

13 hours ago, felser said:

A crime that these have never been released on CD:

Image result for max roach in tokyo

There was a lot of Max Roach from the late 70´s that was not released on CD, never understood why.

Got a fanstastic Live at Amsterdam also from 77/78 the great quartet with Cecil Bridgewater, Billy Harper, Reggie Workman (I liked that version more than the second quartet with Pope and Calvin Hill instead of those two, though they also exceptional musicians).

Those days with Roach touring with that quartet were heaven on earth for me. I think the label of a lot of rare live stuff was Denon. They also did the best Archie Shepp Quartet recordings from that time.

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

513YGWE33RL._SX355_.jpg

Such a fantastic album. And it has a very very special meaning for me, since it was the first Art Farmer album I purchased, and the rhythm section is fantastic.

I purchased the LP shortly after it came out, Art Farmer was married in Vienna, he lived there when he was not touring. Needless to say I got the album signed from him with a really nice dedication. That´s a treasure for me. Needless to say for just listening I bought it on CD also a few years ago.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

There was a lot of Max Roach from the late 70´s that was not released on CD, never understood why.

Got a fanstastic Live at Amsterdam also from 77/78 the great quartet with Cecil Bridgewater, Billy Harper, Reggie Workman

Probably the best of the 70's Max Roach 4tet "live" recordings - but they are uniformly excellent as is the studio date for Horo titled "The Loadstar" ....