So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Probably the best of the 70's Max Roach 4tet "live" recordings - but they are uniformly excellent as is the studio date for Horo titled "The Loadstar" ....

Yes, I´ve heard so much about it, but missed it when it was available then, the only Horo´s I had and have are the two Sun Ra´s

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

There was a lot of Max Roach from the late 70´s that was not released on CD, never understood why.

Another one that gets overlooked: This superb early-80s release, which has never been issued in any digital format (to my knowledge):

Max_ChattahoocheeRed.png

Chattahoochee Red (Columbia, 1981)

On most days, I suppose I slightly prefer the latter incarnation of the quartet (with Pope & Hill) -- but they were both amazing bands and tremendously under-recognized.

NP:

MI0000112468.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Groovy.

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, I´ve heard so much about it, but missed it when it was available then, the only Horo´s I had and have are the two Sun Ra´s

The Lodestar was reissued (recently, I think) as seen on eBay here.  But only on vinyl.  No idea whether it's totally legit.

Confession: I scrounged my download from a blog some years ago. Easier to justify, I guess, back when it was practically IMPOSSIBLE to find.

Edited by HutchFan

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Another one that gets overlooked: This superb early-80s release, which has never been issued in any digital format (to my knowledge):

Max_ChattahoocheeRed.png

Chattahoochee Red (Columbia, 1981)

On most days, I suppose I slightly prefer the latter incarnation of the quartet (with Pope & Hill) -- but they were both amazing bands and tremendously under-recognized.

NP:

MI0000112468.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Groovy.

The Lodestar was reissued (recently, I think) as seen on eBay here.  But only on vinyl.  No idea whether it's totally legit.

Confession: I scrounged my download from a blog some years ago. Easier to justify, I guess, back when it was practically IMPOSSIBLE to find.

The Chattahooche Red I must admit I haven´t heard. But Pictures in a Frame. It´s interesting there are a lot of Roach Fans, I´m glad he was one of my heros and I think the first time I heard them with Billy Harper and Reggie Workman this was one of the greatest concerts I ever heard, I´ll never forget that.

And as you like more the Pope/Hill version: They were also in my hometown, spring 1980 if I remember right. I was there and the next day it was on radio, I recorded that on tape. It´s got that slow blues "six beat blues" which they performed often, and "Peaceful Heart" one of the most played tracks. Normally they did "It´s Time" and "Peaceful Heart" both more than 20 minutes long. That´s how I heard them. And Roach came down the club to greet Art Farmer, but maybe due to contractual reasons he didn´t sit in......

On ‎10‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 1:29 AM, T.D. said:

R-600798-1137019150.jpeg.jpg  R-2462140-1318703420.jpeg.jpg

Two Sun Ra solo piano discs;

R-618576-1414113990-5658.jpeg.jpg

Pharoah Sanders, Izipho Zam (from the Clifford Jordan Strata-East Mosaic)

Heard Izipho Zam yesterday. Beautiful especially the long title track. That´s Pharoah at it´s best, and Sonny Sherrock´s guitar riffs are beautiful. Anyway those are the tunes you never get bored even if it´s repeating a riff, it get´s into your soul, you could listen to it for hours.....

I think it´s very near to the other best achievments "The Creator has a Master Plan" and "Healing Song" (from At the East).

And the first track has a lot of good piano also. Lonnie Liston Smith was one of the first of a long row of píanists who had that certain powerful quality Sanders want´s for his music. Joe Bonner was one, John Hicks , and for a very long time Bill Henderson.

Only downer on that record: It´s not very well recorded, it´s very heard to hear the piano, it´s underrecorded. I think, though all those Strata East are first rate music, it still was low budged and good recording equipment was missing.....

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

The Chattahooche Red I must admit I haven´t heard. But Pictures in a Frame. It´s interesting there are a lot of Roach Fans, I´m glad he was one of my heros and I think the first time I heard them with Billy Harper and Reggie Workman this was one of the greatest concerts I ever heard, I´ll never forget that.

And as you like more the Pope/Hill version: They were also in my hometown, spring 1980 if I remember right. I was there and the next day it was on radio, I recorded that on tape. It´s got that slow blues "six beat blues" which they performed often, and "Peaceful Heart" one of the most played tracks. Normally they did "It´s Time" and "Peaceful Heart" both more than 20 minutes long. That´s how I heard them. And Roach came down the club to greet Art Farmer, but maybe due to contractual reasons he didn´t sit in......

Saw Max Roach @ Konfrontationen Nickelsdorf (Austria) in 1983 - at that time he toured with the so-called "Double Quartet" feat. four female string players led by his daughter Maxine Roach .... his gig started after midnight and after some rather laidback pieces of music Max Roach said with a broad grin "Well it is time for the girls to go to bed ...." and the Quartet consisiting of Odean Pope + Cecil Bridgewater + Art Davis + Max Roach went on fire - as the little town of Nickelsdorf is located near to the Hungarian border and at this time this meant very near the "iron curtain" we joked whether Max Roach`s thunderous solos caused alarms with the Hungarian troups .... those were the days

P.S At that weekend also duo concert of Steve Lacy + Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy + John Carter took place .... lucky me ....

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Saw Max Roach @ Konfrontationen Nickelsdorf (Austria) in 1983 - at that time he toured with the so-called "Double Quartet" feat. four female string players led by his daughter Maxine Roach .... his gig started after midnight and after some rather laidback pieces of music Max Roach said with a broad grin "Well it is time for the girls to go to bed ...." and the Quartet consisiting of Odean Pope + Cecil Bridgewater + Art Davis + Max Roach went on fire - as the little town of Nickelsdorf is located near to the Hungarian border and at this time this meant very near the "iron curtain" we joked whether Max Roach`s thunderous solos caused alarms with the Hungarian troups .... those were the days

P.S At that weekend also duo concert of Steve Lacy + Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy + John Carter took place .... lucky me ....

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s interesting there are a lot of Roach Fans, I´m glad he was one of my heros and I think the first time I heard them with Billy Harper and Reggie Workman this was one of the greatest concerts I ever heard, I´ll never forget that.

I am JEALOUS. :D  I never had the opportunity to hear Max live.  . . . But at least we have the recordings!

NP:

R-7729517-1447591578-7941.jpeg.jpg

Aldo Romano - Dreams & Waters (Owl, 1991)

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I am JEALOUS. :D  I never had the opportunity to hear Max live.  . . . But at least we have the recordings!

I saw Max at Club 43 here in Manchester in about 1967. Those were militant days. He berated the English audience, asking them to consider how the members of his group came to have old English names like Roach, Tolliver, Pope , Cowell and Merritt. (I guess I don't have to explain here.)