Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, soulpope said:

Saw Max Roach @ Konfrontationen Nickelsdorf (Austria) in 1983 - at that time he toured with the so-called "Double Quartet" feat. four female string players led by his daughter Maxine Roach .... his gig started after midnight and after some rather laidback pieces of music Max Roach said with a broad grin "Well it is time for the girls to go to bed ...." and the Quartet consisiting of Odean Pope + Cecil Bridgewater + Art Davis + Max Roach went on fire - as the little town of Nickelsdorf is located near to the Hungarian border and at this time this meant very near the "iron curtain" we joked whether Max Roach`s thunderous solos caused alarms with the Hungarian troups .... those were the days

P.S At that weekend also duo concert of Steve Lacy + Mal Waldron and Steve Lacy + John Carter took place .... lucky me ....

Thank you for sharing this great memories. The Double Quartet was quite well documented, usually they did two long tunes, one was called "A little Booker" as I remember, and the other was something based on the changes of Bird´s Confirmation. Well it´s a nice listening experience even if strings always sound a bit funny to me.

About the "iron curtain"...... two years later Roach performed in East Berlin GDR ..... yes 1985 I got the CD.