So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

20 hours ago, kinuta said:

Lucky you !

:) Yep!  

During my rainy, traffic-filled morning commute:

41092XDZWEL.jpg

Catalyst - The Funkiest Band You Never Heard (32 Jazz)
Disc 2 - Originally released as two Muse LPs: A Tear and a Smile and Perception

Now:

61C16W9u15L._SY325_.jpg

Charlie Haden with Chet Baker, Enrico Piernanunzi & Billy Higgins - Silence (Soul Note)

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Duke EllingtonDETS 47 [(Jun-Jul '53) on Vol. 24 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)
— Willie Cook, Cat Anderson, Clark Terry(t); Ray Nance(t,vl,v); Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson,Juan Tizol(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Russell Procope(cl,ss,as); Rick Henderson(as); Paul Gonsalves(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington(p); Wendell Marshall(sb); Butch Ballard(d); Jimmy Grissom(v); live NBC broadcast from the Blue Note, Chicago

R-8906179-1471198499-5549.jpeg.jpg

Duke EllingtonHurricane NYC [(Apr 1, '44) on Vol. 24 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)
— Shelton Hemphill,  Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Juan Tizol(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Skippy Williams(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Al Hibbler, Wini Johnson(v); live NBC broadcast from the Blue Note, Chicago

2393.jpg?height=370&width=370&scale=canv

CD 1 of Volume 24.  First image is the label from Side A of the original D.E.T.S. LP release.

Edited by alankin

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I'm confused. Could you post an image and or a link to the CD that has both of these albums on it?

Larry, this is a Japanese reissue CD. The front of the booklet has the Red Mitchell session image, while the back page of the booklet has the Oscar Pettiford session image. 

The title of the CD is "Jazz Mainstream" on Bethlehem TOCJ-62083 

I have no idea if it is still available. I have had it for a number of years.

Louis Sclavis & the Bernard Struber Jazztet – Le Phare (Enja Records)
— Soprano Saxophone, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet – Louis Sclavis; Guitar – Bernard Struber; Bass – Jérémy Lirola; Clarinet, Alto Saxophone – Denis Tempo; Drums – Eric Echampard; Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone – Raymond Halbeisen; Percussion – Latif Chaarani; Piano – Benjamin Moussay; Soprano Saxophone, Alto Saxophone – Roby Glod; Tenor Saxophone – Philippe Aubry; Trombone – Jean-Claude Eglin; Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Jean-Luc Cappozzo, Serge Haessler; Tuba – François Thuillier.

MI0000838017.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Wow didn't know about this. I have a French 45 of music from the film I bought more than 50 years ago.  

I have the same 45 plus one with the music from Shoot the Piano Player. Bought them in a record store in Greenwich Village in (I think) 1966.
I'm sure you'd enjoy the Nonesuch recording. It covers Delerue's music from a range of Truffaut films.

Edited by paul secor

5 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Larry, this is a Japanese reissue CD. The front of the booklet has the Red Mitchell session image, while the back page of the booklet has the Oscar Pettiford session image. 

The title of the CD is "Jazz Mainstream" on Bethlehem TOCJ-62083 

I have no idea if it is still available. I have had it for a number of years.

I see; it was a compilation of two 10-inch Bethlehem LPs.

7 hours ago, paul secor said:

I have the same 45 plus one with the music from Shoot the Piano Player. Bought them in a record store in Greenwich Village in (I think) 1966.
I'm sure you'd enjoy the Nonesuch recording. It covers Delerue's music from a range of Truffaut films.

I don't have Shoot the Piano Player but I do have Le Mepris and Le Peau Douce-- bought them in 1965.  I once worked with Delerue and have regretted that I never asked him to autograph them.  

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

What were your impressions of Delerue? In photographs he looks like he was a nice guy.

I was a bit intimidated by him because I admired him so much so I didn't have that much interaction with him.  Also he was very busy conducting an orchestra.  He seemed very nice. IIIRC I did tell him that I was a fan.