Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Looks like you're doing some good listening.

Don't know Handy's Roulettes, though I love his playing with Mingus from around that time. What's your take on this?

Of course playing with Mingus means competing in a different league, nevertheless this 1959 effort and "No Coast Jazz" from 1960 are excellent .... "In The Vernacular" was released as a nice sounding japanes SHM-CD edition in 2016 ....

Edited by soulpope

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – NBC Broadcast from The New Zanzibar [1 & 15 Oct, '45 on Vol.12 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

MI0002282142.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Rex Stewart, c; Cat Anderson, Shelton Hemphill, Taft Jordan, t; Ray Nance, t, vn / Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, tb; Claude Jones, vtb / Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Otto Hardwick, as, cl; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs, cl , bcl / Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy g; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d. / Joya Sherril, Kay Davis, Al Hibbler, v.

Titles include: Caravan, Three Cent Stomp, Riff Staccato, Cotton Tail.

Blue Mitchell – Out Of The Blue (Riverside Records)
— Blue Mitchell - trumpet; Benny Golson - tenor saxophone; Wynton Kelly (tracks 1-6), Cedar Walton (track 7) - piano; Paul Chambers (tracks 2 & 5-7), Sam Jones (tracks 1, 3 & 4) - bass; Art Blakey - drums

MI0001767749.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

31 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Thanks.

I'll second the recommendation for Handy's Roulettes.  I'm actually re-airing a Night Lights show about him next week for his 85th birthday that covers this period in part.  Handy himself was evidently not all that happy with how they turned out (quotes at end of this post and the beginning of this post).  

Edited by ghost of miles

49 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

London_Jazz_Four_HRKCD8385.jpg

A young Norma Winstone on the sleeve !

Doesn't look like her to me. Are you sure? Is she credited on the album? The discogs page of this album says so, but the eyes, nose, and mouth look a little different to me.

NormaWinstoneLimeBlossom.jpg

3333748069.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Han Bennink and Myra Melford apparently having lots of fun...

PhotoPictureResizer_180126_085755374-403x716-382x679.jpg

and the recent Vinny Golia release on Dark Tree. What a find. Mark Weber's liner notes reveal that Dark Tree is also working on another release from Vinny Golia's archive, a KPFK radio broadcast he recorded two month earlier with John Carter and Bobby Bradford. Thanks for digging out these treasures, Bertrand, and everyone else involved.

Edited by Misterioso

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Doesn't look like her to me. Are you sure? Is she credited on the album? The discogs page of this album says so, but the eyes, nose, and mouth look a little different to me.

NormaWinstoneLimeBlossom.jpg

3333748069.jpg

I agree that she looks different but the Harkit CD says so and I’ve seen it mentioned in several sources and on the radio so must be true !

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I'll second the recommendation for Handy's Roulettes.  I'm actually re-airing a Night Lights show about him next week for his 85th birthday that covers this period in part.  Handy himself was evidently not all that happy with how they turned out (quotes at end of this post and the beginning of this post).  

Thanks for posting the links to the interview, David - interesting and fascinating.