Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0003789320.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Disc 1 of 2.  This is a fun and interesting compilation.  There's not much in the way of informative liner notes, but among the 32 (!) tracks on this disc are recordings by Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, The Drifters, Big Mama Thornton, Jimmy Witherspoon, Big Joe Turner, Wanda Jackson, Ben E. King, The Coasters, The Isley Brothers, Georgia Gibbs, Lonnie Donegan and many more.

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

MI0003789320.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Disc 1 of 2.  This is a fun and interesting compilation.  There's not much in the way of informative liner notes, but among the 32 (!) tracks on this disc are recordings by Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, The Drifters, Big Mama Thornton, Jimmy Witherspoon, Big Joe Turner, Wanda Jackson, Ben E. King, The Coasters, The Isley Brothers, Georgia Gibbs, Lonnie Donegan and many more.

They sure wrote a lot of hit songs, and some good ones that should have been hits.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

They sure wrote a lot of hit songs, and some good ones that should have been hits.

They sure did write some great, catchy songs.  Part of the fun of this compilation is hearing some of the less well known tunes they wrote.  I like the fact that they wrote their own "answer songs", like "Bear Cat" (sung by Rufus Thomas) which was their response to their own "Hound Dog" and "I'll Be There" (sung by Damita Jo) which is basically "Stand By Me" complete with the same melody and similar arrangement.  I also like hearing some performers included here which were unfamiliar to me like Sammy Turner, The Honey Bears, The Cheers, Young Jessie and Baby Jane & The Rockabyes.

For some reason I really liked this tune.  It's very much a product of it's era, but I'm kinda surprised it wasn't a hit:

Edited by duaneiac

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

They sure did write some great, catchy songs.  Part of the fun of this compilation is hearing some of the less well known tunes they wrote.  I like the fact that they wrote their own "answer songs", like "Bear Cat" (sung by Rufus Thomas) which was their response to their own "Hound Dog" and "I'll Be There" (sung by Damita Jo) which is basically "Stand By Me" complete with the same melody and similar arrangement.  I also like hearing some performers included here which were unfamiliar to me like Sammy Turner, The Honey Bears, The Cheers, Young Jessie and Baby Jane & The Rockabyes.

For some reason I really liked this tune.  It's very much a product of it's era, but I'm kinda surprised it wasn't a hit:

her nibs, Miss Georgia Gbbs.