• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listened to something a bit different:

TheShir_25AllTi_CoverAr_3000DPI300RGB100

I suppose for many pop music listeners, the girl group sound of the 1960's is exemplified by The Supremes.  But before The Supremes existed -- and probably an artistic influence upon them -- there was the Shirelles.  Many people might be familiar with the songs of the Shirelles because they had several major hits which have endured over the decades, but I wonder how many people nowadays could name the group singing those songs -- songs such as "I Met Him On A Sunday (Ronde-Ronde)", "Baby, It's You", "Dedicated To The One I Love", "Mama Said", "Foolish Little Girl", "Soldier Boy", "Tonight's The Night", "Everybody Loves a Lover", "Don't Say Goodnight and Mean Goodbye" and the marvelous "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" (which to me is such a remarkable song, dealing as it does with an adult theme -- in an oblique enough manner that it could still get played on the radio in 1960 -- in such simple, heartfelt words and sung by the group with a mixture of vulnerability and strength)..  This is an excellent compilation of their work and presents some fine  R&B/pop music.

The liner notes for this 1999 Varese Sarabande disc stated that "A movie currently is being developed by Bette Midler on the life of Florence Greenberg and her Scepter Records story."   Obviously, that never came to fruition.  I wonder if there is a dramatic enough story to be told there.  It would seem like the tale of a female entrepreneur succeeding the in the cut-throat, male dominated music biz of the 1960's would have some interest -- and the soundtrack album with the music of the Shirelles, Dionne Warwick, The Isley Brothers, B.J. Thomas and others would be good.

Edited by duaneiac

604988263022-500x500.jpg

This CD contains Nancy Wilson's first two albums made for Capitol Records (both were arranged & conducted by Billy May) plus some singles.  Her voice was very fresh and vibrant then, without all the Jimmy Scott vocal mannerisms she would later adopt.  The material is mostly pop standards such as "The More I See You", "Almost Like Being In Love", "Teach Me Tonight" and her hit, "Guess Who I Saw Today".  The liner notes claim she "was for some time the label's biggest earning star after The Beatles" , a statement I think is rather dubious given that Capitol Records was also the home of the Beach Boys.