So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

MI0001530567.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0002708116.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This is a really fun set of music.  Duke Ellington's appearance at Birdland in Nov. of 1952 was to honor his Silver Anniversary as a big band leader, commemorating his Dec. 1927 debut at the Cotton Club.  This disc contains radio broadcasts (one each from NBC and CBS) from two nights of that engagement.  The night of the NBC broadcast there were a number of celebrities in the house and Leonard Feather, Steve Allen and Al "Jazzbo" Collins are all heard from paying tribute to Duke.  The band itself was one of Ellington's strongest; only the absence of Johnny Hodges keeps me from calling this the strongest Ellington band.  All the other greats are here:  Anderson, Nance, Terry, Tizol, Woodman, Gonsalves, Procope, Carney, Bellson -- and Betty Roche, how did she not become a big star?  The the radio announcer said the band would play "How High The Moon", but as the liner notes point out, it is in fact "Ornithlogy" which was based on "Moon"'s chord changes.  This is the most bebopish I've ever heard an Ellington band sound.

If you are an Ellington fanatic -- and if you're not, you should be -- this disc will be a delight.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dexter Gordon - Complete Prestige Recordings (discs 1-4)

including:

* Move, from Prestige PRLP 7009 - "Wardell Gray Memorial, Vol. 2" (1950)

* Jazzland JLP 29 - "The Resurgence Of Dexter Gordon" (1960)

* Prestige PR 7455 - "Booker Ervin With Dexter Gordon, Reggie Workman, Alan Dawson And Jaki Byard - Setting The Pace" (1965)

* Prestige PR 7623 -  "Dexter Gordon - The Tower Of Power!" (1969)

* Prestige PR 7680 - "Dexter Gordon - More Power!" (1969)

* Prestige PRCD-11018-2   Dexter Gordon - L.T.D. (1969)

* Prestige PRCD-11023-2   Dexter Gordon - XXL (1969)

9 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

61ZdsOoFkwL._SX425_.jpg

Andrew Cyrille - The Declaration of Musical Independence (ECM). I bought this the week it came out, listened to it probably twice, and put it on the shelf. I spotted it tonight and was kind of surprised - I had pretty much forgotten about it. I'm really enjoying it right now.

And yes, I've got too many records and CDs.

Don't we all. :D

0002612763.jpg

Swing does not come naturally to Yo-Yo Ma, or at least it didn't back in 1989 when this album was recorded (perhaps he has grown more comfortable with the feel of swing since then).  Sensing this perhaps, it seems like Mr. Grappelli dialed back his swing emphasis on several of the tracks and dialed up the more florid style of his playing.  Even with the backing of a small group including Roger Kellaway and Daniel Humair, this did not make for a recipe for musical success.  It's a pretty forgettable session.

R-4720566-1373363206-1468.jpeg.jpg

Edited by duaneiac