• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

R-8624704-1465389307-6505.jpeg.jpg

Is Lou Donaldson still playing/touring?  There is no concert schedule page on his website.  He is 91.  Has he perhaps retired and I missed that news?

I was not able to attend, but when I was in  NYC last October, Lou Donaldson was playing at an unfamiliar lower Manhattan venue.

Disc 2 - This is a set of 4 albums that I like quite a bit. It was Larry's earlier post that got me interested in this set. Sam Most plays flute, clarinet and tenor sax over the 4 albums. His tenor on "You Stepped Out of a Dream" was most impressive on THE AMAZING MR. MOST. Jimmy Raney sounds awfully good on that album too. PLAYS BIRD, BUD, MONK & MILES as the title suggests is focused heavily on Bebop. It features a larger group with Most on clarinet throughout. I found all four albums well worth adding to my collection.

71QiMee+dML._SX355_.jpg

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I was not able to attend, but when I was in  NYC last October, Lou Donaldson was playing at an unfamiliar lower Manhattan venue.

Thanks for that info, kh1958.  It's one thing for a pianist such as Eubie Blake or Sir Charles Thompson to still be playing in their 90's, but it's amazing to me for a player of any wind instrument to still be playing at that age.  I hope Lou Donaldson is doing well and keepin' on keepin' on  these days.

Now playing:

R-4812491-1376306197-1560.jpeg.jpg

R-4812491-1376306273-4112.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Disc 2 - This is a set of 4 albums that I like quite a bit. It was Larry's earlier post that got me interested in this set. Sam Most plays flute, clarinet and tenor sax over the 4 albums. His tenor on "You Stepped Out of a Dream" was most impressive on THE AMAZING MR. MOST. Jimmy Raney sounds awfully good on that album too. PLAYS BIRD, BUD, MONK & MILES as the title suggests is focused heavily on Bebop. It features a larger group with Most on clarinet throughout. I found all four albums well worth adding to my collection.

71QiMee+dML._SX355_.jpg

Thanks for sharing your take on this CD release, Peter.  I've had that one on my Amazon Wishlist for a while now.  Your positive opinion of it might just induce me to get it sooner rather than later.