• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally tracked down a copy of 'Something New, Something Blue' a 1959 LP with modern arrangements of old blues tunes. There are two different bands used, and the one I got the record for consisted of Bill Evans, Eddie Costa, Phil Woods, Art Farmer, Frank Rehak and Al Cohn.

Those guys could make anything sound good, but they play three arrangements by Manny Albam, and one kind of sloppy but interesting arr. by Teo Macero, and their playing of the Albam arr. is perfection itself. Hearing Woods and Costa blow with Bill Evans comping for them is a rare treat.

Edited by sgcim

6 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I finally tracked down a copy of 'Something New, Something Blue' a 1959 LP with modern arrangements of old blues tunes. There are two different bands used, and the one I got the record for consisted of Bill Evans, Eddie Costa, Phil Woods, Art Farmer, Frank Rehak and Al Cohn.

Those guys could make anything sound good, but they play three arrangements by Manny Albam, and one kind of sloppy but interesting arr. by Teo Macero, and their playing of the Albam arr. is perfection itself. hearing Woods and Costa blow with Bill Evans comping for them is a rare treat.

Anything with Costa on it has got to be good in my book. Prefer his piano playing to vibes 

35 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Anything with Costa on it has got to be good in my book. Prefer his piano playing to vibes 

Yeah, I like his piano playing more than his vibes playing, but I'm beginning to appreciate his vibes playing for its simplicity compared to the excesses of other vibes players.

On this LP, he plays only vibes, with his buddy Bill Evans playing piano. I finally found EC's trio recording with Oscar Pettiford. I had hoped there was a full record of the trio, but they just play one tune, 'Taking a Chance On Love'. It was recorded during the session for the LP 'Winner's Circle, but not included on the album.