Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/6/2018 at 4:02 PM, Larry Kart said:

Just picked this up. Sounded damn good in the car. Fine rhythm section -- (Kenny Washington, Peter Washington, Richard Wyands, who just sparkles), RVG sound, and Person and Edwards are in excellent form.

51AXNae2HJL._SX450_.jpg

Listened to it all now. Excellent. Each track is "for" a different tenor giant -- Coltrane, Ben Webster, Lester Young, Stan Getz, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, Dexter Gordon, Lockjaw. Edwards' angular solo on "The Girl From Ipanema" is a particular delight.

4 hours ago, Misterioso said:

Bloody CD-Rs. No liner notes included 😠 I hate to pay full price for such an inferior product. Shame on you, Jazz Records (the label)!PhotoPictureResizer_180508_194134498-652x367.jpg

CD-Rs? I'm surprised to hear that. That was not the case with mine, tho purchased long ago ...

No liners is/was (family) label policy - reflecting Tristano's opinion that the music spoke for itself.  Q

First appearance on this board for this gentleman? 

Not jazz. Sax on this one is by - can’t remember. Mel Collins is on a couple of his. Where’s Bev to enjoy that reference? 

Edited to add: there is one with Wayne Shorter, come to that. A later one has Chick Corea and Ralph Towner. Peter Erskine is drummer on a couple.

oh AND... all the Warner titles remastered and reissued this year. On CD, if you remember those. And on vinyl come to that. Fill your boots. 

Edited by David Ayers

On 4/23/2018 at 2:06 PM, JSngry said:

hubbar_fred_freddiehu_106b.jpg

Pretty darn good, actually. Freddie kept good bands back then, and Hadley Caliman is an extra plus. And fear not popophobes, the program here is very "straight ahead".

A solid A-/B+ date and if you don't have either this or Gleam, get one or both, unless, you know...

that band is great enjoying this right now

yhey also plyed montreux that year also on the tube

Edited by uli

42 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-7600304-1444884629-9330.jpeg.jpg

Sons Of Kemet - Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do [Naim]

revisiting this one due to the coverage of their new release on Impulse! I still sounds vital

Saw them in Swanage a few years ago - rocking the pulpit of the Methodist church more than it has ever been rocked. That band had 2 drummers, including Seb Rochford.

Just in - Westbrook Records ‘In Memory Of Lou Gare’. Very nice tribute album from Mike & Co. with live features from Lou. I was at 3 of the performances featured and great to be reminded of them.

220px-Lou_Gare_at_Barnfield_Theatre%2C_E

Edited by sidewinder