Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

61Gxy+-3imL._AC_US218_.jpg 

Unexpectedly, I found the Shaw-Hayes band to be in rather tense, unsettled form here, with the exception of Ronnie Matthews and some of Hayes' solo work. I know that Stafford James' was a longtime Shaw associate, but his sense of  of where "one" is seems very pushy to me. Was this a happy band? I get the feeling that it might not have been. By contrast, the wholeness of the "message" of  the 1960 Messengers was striking.

61HnMD5LGdL._SX425_.jpg

26 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Yes - some very good solos. I've just grown to hate the Granz jam - sometimes dueling horns - session format.

Generally agreed. I don't own that many Granz/Verve recordings due to lack of enthusiasm for NG's format and production approach. But I do own Sonny Side Up and consider it outstanding.

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

61Gxy+-3imL._AC_US218_.jpg 

Unexpectedly, I found the Shaw-Hayes band to be in rather tense, unsettled form here, with the exception of Ronnie Matthews and some of Hayes' solo work. I know that Stafford James' was a longtime Shaw associate, but his sense of  of where "one" is seems very pushy to me. Was this a happy band? I get the feeling that it might not have been. By contrast, the wholeness of the "message" of  the 1960 Messengers was striking.

61HnMD5LGdL._SX425_.jpg

I remember reading in a gig review in Melody Maker (1976/77?) that there was a major bust up on stage between Woody and Junior Cook during what must have been this tour, during their stint Ronnie Scotts. I recall the gig/tour ended up continuing as a quartet. So what you are sensing was spot on !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I remember reading in a gig review in Melody Maker (1976/77?) that there was a major bust up on stage between Woody and Junior Cook during what must have been this tour, during their stint Ronnie Scotts. I recall the gig/tour ended up continuing as a quartet. So what you are sensing was spot on !

I saw them at Ronnie's and found it a surprisingly dull session.