Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who Came First [2 CD]

I readily hear this as a Who album; material largely derived from a fruitful period circa Who's Next, which certainly sat in high cotton no matter which direction you travelled along the release chronology! 

Edited by Kate

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

This looks super tasty .....trio tracks with Ron Mathewson and Tony Oxley .... all unreleased I presume ,,,,

Yes - CD1 includes pretty well a re-run of the ‘Gyroscope’ LP about a week after the Morgan studio recording and is equally brilliant. CD2 has recordings also from the 1975 Gyroscope group with Mathewson in place of Jeff Clyne from the earlier group. All of this material is unissued and came from the personal archive of Gordon Beck - check out that thread on the Hoffman Forums concerning how this release came about (it is a veritable saga with a happy ending). Add to that there is rare Beck Septet material from 1972, solo material and later stuff with Frank Ricotti and Stan Sultzmann. All topped off by a really superb booklet essay by Simon Spillett. End of sales pitch..:D

Audio quality is variable but in no cases is it offputting and in some instances is surprisingly excellent. Apparently the tapes had ageing/damp damage so considering this, the achieved audio quality is pretty impressive.

Turtle have also just issued a single CD from this archive by the Beck trio plus ‘Johnny’ Mclaughlin (as per the ’Experiments With Pops’ LP) plus vocalist Joy Marshall. Haven’t yet heard it but it is on my list (of course).

Edited by sidewinder

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes - CD1 includes pretty well a re-run of the ‘Gyroscope’ LP about a week after the Morgan studio recording and is equally brilliant. CD2 has recordings also from the 1975 Gyroscope group with Mathewson in place of Jeff Clyne from the earlier group. All of this material is unissued and came from the personal archive of Gordon Beck - check out that thread on the Hoffman Forums concerning how this release came about (it is a veritable saga with a happy ending). Add to that there is rare Beck Septet material from 1972, solo material and later stuff with Frank Ricotti and Stan Sultzmann. All topped off by a really superb booklet essay by Simon Spillett. End of sales pitch..:D

Audio quality is variable but in no cases is it offputting and in some instances is surprisingly excellent. Apparently the tapes had ageing/damp damage so considering this, the achieved audio quality is pretty impressive.

Turtle have also just issued a single CD from this archive by the Beck trio plus ‘Johnny’ Mclaughlin (as per the ’Experiments With Pops’ LP) plus vocalist Joy Marshall. Haven’t yet heard it but it is on my list (of course).

Sales pitch sucessfully executed :D .... btw Simon Spillett`s writing is always a strong argument for a buy ...

Edited by soulpope

before:

R-4338378-1439160455-1992.jpeg.jpg

Walter Bishop Jr - Bish Bash (Xanadu)

now:

R-1293357-1207095699.jpeg.jpg

Ahmed Abdullah and the Solomonic Quintet (Silkheart)

that Ahmed Abdullah album is such a nice surprise - took it with me recently because you just can't let a Silheart CD lie around for 2 Euros... forgot about it for a few months and now had the hunch that this might just be the perfect music for, well, right now - and it is... wish that would happen more often.

41 minutes ago, Niko said:

now:

R-1293357-1207095699.jpeg.jpg

Ahmed Abdullah and the Solomonic Quintet (Silkheart)

that Ahmed Abdullah album is such a nice surprise - took it with me recently because you just can't let a Silheart CD lie around for 2 Euros... forgot about it for a few months and now had the hunch that this might just be the perfect music for, well, right now - and it is... wish that would happen more often.

Fred Hopkins (!!) ....

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

At the right time, try to sit back, relax, close your eyes, and listen. You'll probably be rewarded.

Will do! 

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Glad it isn't just me. A case of less than the sum of its considerable parts for me

Yeah, that was my impression, too.