• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

R-1836806-1302376745.jpeg.jpg

McLean's Scene

Those early Prestige sessions of Jackie McLean are quite interesting, though they still sound a bit "rough". I remember when I bought this album I couldn´t believe the man on the coverfoto is Jackie, I wouldn´t have recognized him.

There are still a lot of standards and ballads on those albums. I think one track is called "Outburst" and it´s an ultra fast improvised line of the "Salt Peanuts" changes.

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Those early Prestige sessions of Jackie McLean are quite interesting, though they still sound a bit "rough". I remember when I bought this album I couldn´t believe the man on the coverfoto is Jackie, I wouldn´t have recognized him.

There are still a lot of standards and ballads on those albums. I think one track is called "Outburst" and it´s an ultra fast improvised line of the "Salt Peanuts" changes.

One of my favorite pre-BN records is A Long Tall Drink Of The Blues, especially where the musicians heatedly discuss the rhythm. 4,5,6 is another good one. 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1203212-1200445950.jpeg.jpg

Anthony Braxton - Sextet (Istanbul) 1996 [New Braxton House]

following a startlingly good Zim Music performance at Oto on wednesday. This Ghost Trance Music sounds not very like Zim Music really but it's the nearest I could get

Interesting. I'm giving this a listen through headphones on Bandcamp now. I do not have any early Ghost Trance Music, and I see this has Kevin Norton on drums, whom I only know from the CIMP and Leo standards albums.

In the car while doing shopping:

217AQP6VS0L.jpg

Laurindo Almeida, Dance the Bossa Nova (compilation from his Capitol LPs)

Last stop was the post office to pick this one up:

712wVrNkq%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

Bought it for Rhyne in the first place, but Asche is a very fine guitarist. Bobby Broom wrote him a page of liner notes full of praise, and rightly so. An excellent album, recommended.

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

OK, not as compelling as later Accelerated GTM (e.g. 9 Compositions (Iridium) 2006).

Funny, but valuable, how tastes differ. I never get on with the later GTM despite trying a number of recordings,including Iridium. The Istanbul is the only one I've kept. It's the only phase of Braxton's career that left me behind. My loss, I'm sure

I was pleased when he moved onto EEMH and now Zim

on a completely different tack...

21 hours ago, Morganized said:

Pop Pop

:tup glad to see that come up on the thread

Checking out some of the albums on the Inner Circle label.  Most, though not all, can be streamed through Apple Music.

Right now, Pasos by Maikel Vistel.  (Requires a second listen when I can pay more attention.)

Later this aft, The Lucid Dreamer by Simona Premazzi.  Greg Osby's on a couple of tracks, and Melissa Aldana (a bit of an Osby protege) is on 5.