• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-3994251-1351705040-4097.jpeg.jpg

John Scofield guests on this one.

11 hours ago, sidewinder said:

He hasn’t. He’s doing the Swanage Festival next month, among other things. As well as appearing with his quartet, he’s part of a JJ Johnson Quintet tribute group.

I heard he had some domestic difficulties a year or so ago that curtailed his playing. 

51CF-2Q5dkL._SX495_.jpg

Enrico Pieranunzi - Autour de Martinu: Live at the Bird's Eye (TCB)

This CD is new to me, and I'm really enjoying it. I suppose I could have posted it to the "What Classical Music Are You Listening to?" thread. On many of the tracks, Pieranunzi plays brief compositions by "classical" composers -- Bohuslav Martinů, Scarlatti, Handel -- and then freely improvises based on the composer's music.  Other tracks feature Pieranunzi's own compositions. Marvelous stuff.

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Good that the Jazz Journal column remains a going concern. A highlight of that fine publication !

I'd love to know what those 'domestic difficulties' were that supposedly 'curtailed' my playing... I never stopped playing ever (or being a professional musician). It's intriguing to learn here that some folk think I've given up! This year alone I've played nearly 70 gigs - all jazz - and have just appeared at Ronnie's with my quartet.

I've just given up recording, that's all. After coming up with three, to my mind, utterly awful records (I'm referring to my own performance on the albums not that of the other players) I said no more. As I said in the current Jazz Journal the idea of my making albums with people like Martin Drew and Spike Wells was delusional to say the least. It took a while but I realised that making records wasn't good for me. I did a sideman session last year on someone else's project and it was even worse than the first three! On top of that, Gearbox dropped my contract which had included the option of a second LP - I suspect because I wouldn't play the Social Media game in order to promote Square One. Just couldn't do it.

The Jazz Journal column is finishing next month too - again, my choice.

Edited by SimonSpill