So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Sticking with Conjure for now.  The usual mix of word, vocals, latin, blues and free jazz, but it all hangs together  David Murray and Billy Bang provide the jazz interest.  Playing this reminded me that I saw Hanrahan with a similar lineup to this at the Barbican in London in 2003.  Anyone else here make that performance?

71kwrCibVsL._SX355_.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

Sticking with Conjure for now.  The usual mix of word, vocals, latin, blues and free jazz, but it all hangs together  David Murray and Billy Bang provide the jazz interest.  Playing this reminded me that I saw Hanrahan with a similar lineup to this at the Barbican in London in 2003.  Anyone else here make that performance?

71kwrCibVsL._SX355_.jpg

Saw the Conjure Band in 1992 @Jazzfest Wien .... although interesting - vocalist Carmen Lundy was exquisite - the overall impression was slightly dissapointing .... likely the early (!!) afternnon slot and the concert hall`s bad acoustics didn`t help either .....

1 hour ago, jazzscriveyn said:

Howard Riley Trio - Discussions
with Barry Guy  & Jon Hiseman
recorded Dec. 1967

5184oX5R5dL._SS500.jpg

:tup:tup Original LP pressed in 99 copies by Chris Wellard for tax reasons !

One of Jon Hiseman’s best sessions, IMO, along with the Mike Taylor Columbia sessions. Strangely, his biography makes no mention of it.

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

be2539c4ca.jpg

Following "Coup De Tete" and "Desire Develops An Edge"/"A Few More Notes From The End Run" (IMO)the last outstanding Kip Hanrahan album .... subsequently the formula became flawed ....

I feel the same way. I bought a relatively recent Hanrahan, and the magic that was there earlier wasn't there. And a falloff in the recording quality didn't help.