So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

5 minutes ago, Justin V said:

I went to a library sale in my hometown and returned home to find a battered Disc 1 from this compilation jammed into the booklet to the Dizzy disc I bought.  I'll eventually have to buy the whole set.

You won't regret it. ;) 

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Serving as final blow to your neighbours :D ....

Ever since that asshole put a drill in the wall for some 45 minutes right beneath my bedroom at exactly 5 AM late last summer, I don't give a shit what he thinks. I don't put free jazz on to annoy him, just because I feel like listening. A couple of months later he had the nerve to complain to the social housing corporation he felt he was being bullied because he could sometimes hear some piano music late at night. Fuck him.

By the way, the windows are closed now. Too hot outside.

Edited by erwbol

3 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Ever since that asshole put a drill in the wall beneath my bedroom at exactly 5 AM for some 45 minutes late last summer, I don't give a shit what he thinks. I don't put free jazz on to annoy him, just because I feel like listening. A couple of months later he had the nerve to complain to the social housing corporation he felt he was being bullied because he could sometimes hear some piano music late at night. Fuck him.

Sorry to hear .... having this type of neighbours is sort of destiny ....

8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Sorry to hear .... having this type of neighbours is sort of destiny ....

This building was completed only ten years ago, so it has some pretty good, modern isolation. Once when the downstairs apartment was empty (front door stood open) and being debugged and renovated after some other nutter had made a mess of it, I put on some very loud electric Miles and went downstairs to listen. I didn't think it was that bad, actually. So, given that I usually listen at much lower volume, I think he is overreacting. He is probably also underestimating the noise he makes himself. Particularly in respect to what I believe his own downstairs neighbour must be experiencing daily.

Anyway, always make sure you get a top floor apartment in a social housing project. 

A few days with this:

mitche_nico_indigotri_101b.jpg

Pretty damn good.

Beginning a visit with:

monti_maria_ilbestiar_101b.jpg

quoth the Ba(st)rd(s):

Other-worldly sounds from Italian singer Maria Monti – working here with lots of help from avant genius Alvin Curran and jazz legend Steve Lacy! Curran handled the arrangements, and comes up with these moody electronic backdrops on a few pieces that remind us a bit of Terry Riley – while Lacy brings in a warmer sound on his soprano saxophone lines, balancing things out with more soulful elements! Maria herself has a very striking style – maybe somewhere between Nico and Lotte Lenya, depending on the tune – and the instrumentation also includes guitar from Luca Balbo and Tony Ackerman, and baritone sax from Roberto Laneri.

Sometimes I don't mind not speaking the language songs are sung in, some times I do. This one I do, but I ain't gonna let it ruin my day. The music is fine and so is the singing. However, if there's a translation available somewhere, I'd love to look at it.

I'm just starting to dig a bit deeper into Carmen McRae's discography, but one thing that immediately leaps out is that she seems MUCH more at ease in a live setting.

Today, I've been listening to two more of her live gems, "Live" & Wailing (1968) and Woman Talk: Live at the Village Gate (1966).

51SZWG7UjWL._SS400.jpg  41P6kHGicBL._SY400_.jpg