• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51H55OFZqEL.jpg

The Original James P. Johnson

Just arrived. A beautiful near mint copy of the original 1996 silver CD to replace the crappy CDr in cheap board packaging Smithsonian Folkways sells these days. These scammers don't even advertise their current product as a CDr. A real shame since I would like to explore their catalogue further.

Booklet looks very imformative. Gonna dive straight into it. I was considering getting the Mosaic earlier this year, but opted for this album instead. Great music, I hope there is more.

40 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That's on my to-get list!  

(And I'd like the Enrico Pieranunzi recording from the same series too. ;) )

His ebullient inventiveness and technical ability is awesome, at his age! (he was 90 by the time of this recording). I simply love MS: his deconstruction of standards, the way he plays with the melody...

And he is a very nice guy. After one of his concerts in Madrid (at the sadly gone Johnny), I was lucky to meet him, had some talk with him and take a picture with some friends. We had some brief email correspondence afterwards, mainly on his relationship with Tete Montoliu...

I wish we had MS for many more years!!!!

26 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

His ebullient inventiveness and technical ability is awesome, at his age! (he was 90 by the time of this recording). I simply love MS: his deconstruction of standards, the way he plays with the melody...

And he is a very nice guy. After one of his concerts in Madrid (at the sadly gone Johnny), I was lucky to meet him, had some talk with him and take a picture with some friends. We had some brief email correspondence afterwards, mainly on his relationship with Tete Montoliu...

I feel the same way about Solal that you do. Such a unique musical "voice"! There's no one else like him.

I'm jealous that you've had opportunities to meet & correspond with him. :D

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

He is fantastic in solo recital. Seen him a couple of times at Bath. The first time was in the Georgian splendour of the Assembly Rooms about 30 years ago, with wine served by the glass during the recital. A hugely civilised event in every respect and he played an absolute blinder !

If my memory is correct, tickets were about £6 and the wine was about £2 a glass !

988.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

519%2B9yvxTYL.jpg

Sonny Rollins - Work Time (Prestige)
One of Sonny's very best records, imho. I even prefer Work Time over the more-celebrated Saxophone Colossus.

Me too.  It was also the first Rollins disc I bought.  A big Rollins lover thereafter.

Edited by JohnS