Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51ZnQ8KVfOL._SY400_.jpg

Gil Evans and Lee Konitz - Anti-Heroes: I found this, along with a lot moreΒ Konitz and other goodies (nearly 60 albums!), at a library sale for a buck recently after having owned the companion volume for years.Β  Having been fortunate enough to have seen Lee perform 9 times over the last several years, I think that these live recordings capture his sound remarkably well.Β  Evans' minimalistic and responsive piano is a joy.

500x500.jpg

Disc 1 of 2.Β  Cliff Edwards deserves to be remembered for more than that Pinnochio song (although he did sing the heck out of that) and possibly for being the guy who introduced "Singin' In The Rain".Β  He was a very personable singer and certainly an immediately identifiable one with his kazoo-like scatting which he called "eefing".Β  He's perhaps best enjoyed a few tracks at a time, but I really enjoyed this disc and the sound restoration is very good.

51K1iM3OcNL._SY495_.jpg

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (Atlantic)
Listened to this on the wayΒ into work this morning, and it really whacked me upside the head in a wonderful way. So many felicitous touches by the entire band.Β 

Edited by HutchFan

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

51K1iM3OcNL._SY495_.jpg

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (Atlantic)
Listened to this on the way on into work this morning, and it really whacked me upside the head in a wonderful way. So many felicitous touches by the entire band.Β 

One of Bill Hardman's fine(st) hours ....