So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Earlier today .... :

Hassaan.png

Didn`t get overly moved by this release when acquiring it many years ago .... but things changed .... the interplay of all three musicians is amazing and Max Roach - although a driving force throughout - never crosses theline to overpowering .... btw what a great bassplayer Art Davis was ....re-bought thia hesitantely as japanese SHM-CD release and now very glad I did so ....

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

This one and "Jazz Caper" are my late career Bill Barron platters ....

:tup:tup:tup  

Jazz Caper is probably my all-around favorite Bill Barron record -- with both Variations in Blue and The Next Plateau following closely behind.

I haven't listened as closely to Barron's earlier stuff on Savoy. The Fresh Sounds compilation is on my to-get list.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

4169QvNpuEL.jpg

More Max Roach + Art Davis ....

Art Davis was an excellent bassist.  If you haven't heard it, check out his A Time Remembered, which has Herbie Hancock, Ravi Coltrane and Marvin 'Smitty' Smith.  It says a lot about Davis that Herbie would do a sideman date at a time where he didn't record often in that capacity.

3 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Art Davis was an excellent bassist.  If you haven't heard it, check out his A Time Remembered, which has Herbie Hancock, Ravi Coltrane and Marvin 'Smitty' Smith.  It says a lot about Davis that Herbie would do a sideman date at a time where he didn't record often in that capacity.

Thnx for reminding me of "A Time Remembered" .... a litlle beauty ....

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

51SAK0JJPXL.jpg

Allen Eager: In the Land of Oo-Bla-Dee 1947-1953 (Uptown)

I like the earlier stuff  better than the later cuts on this cd.  It's as if Eager followed Prez so much that he got weaker as (I  at least think) Prez did in the '50s.  Nevertheless an essential cd. 

5 hours ago, Justin V said:

51PREQDN8FL._SY400_.jpg

Don Menza & His '80s Big Band - Burnin': I was fortunate enough to catch Menza in Buffalo last weekend.  I went from roastin' in the sun at the outdoor concert to Burnin'.  :)

Would like to catch Menza again. From recollection, last time I saw him was with Louis Belson around 1980.

51gAgq0TtJL.jpg