Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Would like to catch Menza again. From recollection, last time I saw him was with Louis Belson around 1980.

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

Don Menza was the leader of the first live jazz I ever heard - my first day at college in Buffalo.

Menza has apparently played in Buffalo several times in the last year, but without a website listing his tour dates, it'll be a little tricky knowing when and where he is playing.  I hope to catch him again.

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

Coleman.png

First performance I ever saw at Scotts was Coleman with Ruiz and Higgins. They were monumental ! Herbie Lewis was on bass though, I think.

Ronnie was obviously a big fan of Coleman, as he was a regular visitor through the years.

Edited by sidewinder

complete-roost-sonny-stitt-studio_1_258a

Sonny Stitt - The Complete Sonny Stitt Roost Studio Sessions:  I am listening to the session with Hank Jones, Roy Haynes and (likely) Tommy Potter.  I bought this a few months ago for $75 on Amazon, without the box or giant book.  I probably could have snagged it for a bit of a better price had I waited, but it is such a nice set that I still feel like $75 was a bargain.  

6 minutes ago, Justin V said:

complete-roost-sonny-stitt-studio_1_258a

Sonny Stitt - The Complete Sonny Stitt Roost Studio Sessions:  I am listening to the session with Hank Jones, Roy Haynes and (likely) Tommy Potter.  I bought this a few months ago for $75 on Amazon, without the box or giant book.  I probably could have snagged it for a bit of a better price had I waited, but it is such a nice set that I still feel like $75 was a bargain.  

Great set, $75 well spent even without box and book. Must dig out..

37 minutes ago, paul secor said:

51Lc6r4S-8L.jpg

Mingus: Pre-Bird

Dude, if you're into "objects", not in general, but when they're really worth it, try to score a really cheap copy of the Mingus Revisited reissue of this on Limelight (not Trip, b/c that's some jacked up shit right there, the do a Trip job on the reissue, not the original, what did they care?). The more fucked up the vinyl is, the better, because lower price. But man, that packaging...one of the best Limelight jobs I've seen, and that's saying a lot. It's worthy of Mingus, and not that many things from the time really were. I try to imagine a parallel universe where Limelight was the OG label for Let My Children Hear Music and cry tears of awestruck wonder for something that never happened or could happen. I don't care that Leonard Feather wrote the line notes, I just look at the thing, feel it, touch it, and that's enough. For once, somebody gave Mingus regal packaging, impulse! worked it, but they were deluxe with a budget, if you know what I mean. Limelight seems like they didn't give a damn about no stinkin' budget until they apparently had no choice.