• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Do you have this one, on here now?

Ray Bryant - Somewhere in France

R-3583902-1336234123.jpeg.jpg

MG, I don't have that CD.  Do I need to hear it?  ;) 

Earlier this AM:

71Q4psZZmWL._SX455_.jpg

Art Pepper - The Trip (Contemporary / OJC)
with George Cables, David Williams, and Elvin Jones

I've never heard a better version of "The Summer Knows."  Like much of Legrand's music, the tune can easily slip into something that sounds overripe, almost maudlin.  But Pepper's version here -- Oh man, by holding back just a little, he kills it. And it's soooo bluesy -- not a adjective that you'd ever naturally associate with this song.

NP:

51zweLhMe0L._SS455.jpg

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Country Preacher: "Live" at Operation Breadbasket (Capitol)
with Nat, Joe Zawinul, Walter Booker, and Roy McCurdy

I think Zawinul sounds great on this record. (And I don't always feel that way about his playing.)

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

71Q4psZZmWL._SX455_.jpg

Art Pepper - The Trip (Contemporary / OJC)
with George Cables, David Williams, and Elvin Jones

I've never heard a better version of "The Summer Knows."  Like much of Legrand's music, the tune can easily slip into something that sounds overripe, almost maudlin.  But Pepper's version here -- Oh man, by holding back just a little, he kills it. And it's soooo bluesy -- not a adjective that you'd ever naturally associate with this song.

Great platter .... and agreement on "The Summer Knows" .... 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MG, I don't have that CD.  Do I need to hear it?  ;) 

Ah, got it to work.

Joel Dorn described it as the most exciting live jazz recording he'd ever heard. Well, this from a man who'd previously released Sonny Stitt's album with Don Patterson & Billy James live at the Left Bank is saying a bit TOO much - but he was trying to sell records. It is indeed very, very good Ray Bryant, a solo gig, recorded by him, somewhere he'd forgotten after all the years - hence the title.

MG

3 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Joel Dorn described it as the most exciting live jazz recording he'd ever heard. Well, this from a man who'd previously released Sonny Stitt's album with Don Patterson & Billy James live at the Left Bank is saying a bit TOO much - but he was trying to sell records. It is indeed very, very good Ray Bryant, a solo gig, recorded by him, somewhere he'd forgotten after all the years - hence the title.

Sounds good. I'll add it to the list. Thanks for the heads-up. :tup 

NP:

MI0000670660.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Larry Coryell - The Restful Mind (Vanguard)

MI0000134502.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

A superior recording by Mr. Hamilton with superb assistance from Tommy Flanagan, Bob Cranshaw and Lewis Nash.

MI0000337027.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Scott Hamilton is 64 today.  Steve Turre is 70 today.  Wow!  It seems like only yesterday when they were among the young guys on the jazz scene.  But wait a minute -- if they're no longer young guys, then that might mean I'm no . . . lon . . . ger . . .

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

latest?cb=20130616023722

Edited by duaneiac

45 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

MI0000134502.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

A superior recording by Mr. Hamilton with superb assistance from Tommy Flanagan, Bob Cranshaw and Lewis Nash.

MI0000337027.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Scott Hamilton is 64 today.  Steve Turre is 70 today.  Wow!  It seems like only yesterday when they were among the young guys on the jazz scene.  But wait a minute -- if they're no longer young guys, then that might mean I'm no . . . lon . . . ger . . .

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

latest?cb=20130616023722

Good one!  I know how you feel and share your pain!:lol:

Now:

R-5087676-1384147750-8532.jpeg.jpg:tup