Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Giving Hank Jones an electric piano is like giving Hank Aaron a basketball - different game altogether, although in both, hand/eye coordination and quick reaction time (or the lack thereof) will make you or break you.

Is Hank Aaron a better baseball player or basketball player.

I think we know the answer, and that applies to the discussion of Hank Jones. Hank Jones may be acceptable playing the different game, but far superior

playing the game he knows best, and had been playing for the vast majority of his life.

I've never seen Hank Aaron play basketball (casually or otherwise), so I don't know the answer to that question. If you have, then I'll stipulate to your opinion.

I'll tell you who was a good basketball player - Tommy Flanagan (no, not the Jon Lovitz character).

People who freak out about Rhodes "just because" are like people who eat rice with a knife.

Until now! :g

Seriously, it means nothing other than one thing is absurd, and so is the other. But if you get fed, hey.

Ā 

I very much like that Flanagan cut, btw. What he plays sounds better to my ears played on the Rhodes than it would on an acoustic. Any pianist with ears to hear knows that they're not the same instrument and adjusts accordingly.

27 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Until now! :g

Seriously, it means nothing other than one thing is absurd, and so is the other. But if you get fed, hey.

Ā 

I very much like that Flanagan cut, btw. What he plays sounds better to my ears played on the Rhodes than it would on an acoustic. Any pianist with ears to hear knows that they're not the same instrument and adjusts accordingly.

You expressed your opinion about the Flanagan cut which is fine. There are some who have a different opinion, and prefer to hear the acoustic piano played by musicians such as Hank Jones, Tommy Flanagan, Cedar Walton and many others.

Perhaps holding an opinion with which you do not agree is your definition of "freaking out"? Or maybe you meant that holding an opinion different than yours is absurd?

Geez, touchy today, arenā€™t we! Old people should bond, not bite!

I personally believe that what ultimately matters is what is played rather what it is played on. I also believe that anybody who feels otherwise is just being silly.

I myself am often silly about any number of things, so...itā€™s not an issue for me, being silly. I would encourage more silliness, actually. But not stupidity. THAT would be wrong!