Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51A23TFS2HL.jpg

Pretty good, but I wonder who directed the programming...there's a lot of standards re-arranged to at least some good effect. But Chambers is such a strong composer, I'd have preferred the ratio to have been the other way around. Sill, Joe Chambers & Gary Bartz, it don't suck!

gratefuldead_pacificnorthwest7374_b4jb.j

Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers.  Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable here, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources.  Portland 74 is a well-known quantity, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity.  While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's assertive - sometimes catalystic - play makes many first-set standards remarkable. 

Edit:  I can't imagine a more comprehensive, aesthetically pleasing release - from accompanying book cover and CD digipack art to the CD themselves and - of course - the stellar box, right down to the tactile overlay stencil design on the lid's underside.

Edited by Kate