Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-1640346-1477429589-7589.jpeg.jpg

Ok, I've been trying to give this Monk Higgins shit some kind of slack, some kind of cred for several decades now, and sorry, I just can't. No doubt he was able enough a businessman, but why does everything he do have an air of "hustle" about it,like he got the gig just because he slick-talked his way into it and had the connections to make a date happen?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, hell, that's the exact same rap that Quincy Jones has had for decades now. But Quincy had cred, Quincy had shown that if he had been willing to stay low, he could have been one of those guys who did fine work for somebody else. But no, Quincy didn't to do that, Quincy wanted to be one of those guys that had all those other guys working for him. Quincy wanted to be one of those guys.

Fair enough. But I see no such choices being made by Monk Higgins, this guy has never shown me that he could do anything other than what he did, which, really on it own merits is at best slight, and at worst, just godawful. I mean, listen to this bullshit here, some halfass tenor playing that lets the bad notes stay in, he talked somebody into believing it was "soulful". It's not, it's bullshit, it's a bogus, triflin' halfass potpourri of the most obvious points of what little he thought people would buy.

Look, I know how this business works. There are always people like this, people who have the hustle and who can deliver "the goods", but they are weak. They might make the money (but never the big money, that's how small they are), but they are weak, they don't last, they don't have anything to last with. Who remembers Monk Higgins as anything but a business man, does anybody have any fond, heart-stirring memories of that time on that record when Monk Higgins just hit you where you lived and fucked you right on up?

Oh hell no.

36 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

61PMTliX4XL._SS500.jpg

Kenny Barron & Dave Holland - The Art of Conversation (Impulse)

Enjoyed this so much that I played it twice.

This is a terrific date. I played it numerous times. My only regret was that it was the only date they recorded. However, there are quite a few videos on YouTube.