Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-4822418-1376592115-6908.jpeg.jpg  R-11174699-1520283400-8864.jpeg.jpg

Bud Powell - A Portrait of Thelonious (Columbia). I hope nobody will give me too much grief when I reveal that I've been listening to jazz for about 45 years, and today was the first time I heard this excellent album. Better late than never.

Hank Mobley - Straight No Filter (BN 1989 reissue). So I have the 1989 and the 2000/2001 CD versions of No Room For Squares, The Turnaround, and Straight No Filter. The earlier reissues group the four recording sessions together (Straight No Filter has two session); the later CDs follow the original LP track groupings, with additional material. I find that I usually prefer to listen to the earlier CDs, with the complete sessions.

R-4192289-1397611203-6186.jpeg.jpg

Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East - Feb. '70 (Grateful Dead).  Recorded by the Grateful Dead's sound man, Owsley Stanley, when the two bands were sharing a run at the Fillmore. This has been recently reissued, but I've had the older CD for a few years.

Edit: I had forgotten this moment - between two of the songs, Duane Allman acknowledges Chico Hamilton in the audience.

Edited by jeffcrom

1 hour ago, jeffcrom said:

R-4822418-1376592115-6908.jpeg.jpg 

Bud Powell - A Portrait of Thelonious (Columbia). I hope nobody will give me too much grief when I reveal that I've been listening to jazz for about 45 years, and today was the first time I heard this excellent album. Better late than never.

No grief - just happy that you found your way to it.

4 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-4822418-1376592115-6908.jpeg.jpg Bud Powell - A Portrait of Thelonious (Columbia). I hope nobody will give me too much grief when I reveal that I've been listening to jazz for about 45 years, and today was the first time I heard this excellent album. Better late than never.

Simply outstanding music ....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Simply outstanding music ....

For further material from about the same period, also in Paris and also featuring a lot of Monk´s compositions I´d recommand the live album from "At Blue Note Cafe 1961". This has the same personnel Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke (Clarke not with brushes, but with sticks, even on the ballads !!) , and the Monk tunes on that album are: Thelonious (a faster version), Round Midnight (fantastic !!!!), Monks Mood (fantastic !!!) and 52´nd Street Theme.

There have been several issues of that stuff. In the late 70´s I had an LP and it was titled "Inedits 1962" and had a neatly dressed and slim Bud sittin in a sports car and french album lines written by Francis Paudras,  and later the CD on ESP which also adds a set of the trio together with Zoot Sims !

Highly recommended, and I like it much more than the CBS album.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

For further material from about the same period, also in Paris and also featuring a lot of Monk´s compositions I´d recommand the live album from "At Blue Note Cafe 1961". This has the same personnel Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke (Clarke not with brushes, but with sticks, even on the ballads !!) , and the Monk tunes on that album are: Thelonious (a faster version), Round Midnight (fantastic !!!!), Monks Mood (fantastic !!!) and 52´nd Street Theme.

There have been several issues of that stuff. In the late 70´s I had an LP and it was titled "Inedits 1962" and had a neatly dressed and slim Bud sittin in a sports car and french album lines written by Francis Paudras,  and later the CD on ESP which also adds a set of the trio together with Zoot Sims !

Highly recommended, and I like it much more than the CBS album.

Yes this one is great .... as is the material being part of the "Mythic Sounds" releases with Michelot + Clarke (+ Barney Wilen on a couple of tracks) from 1959 ....

49 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Yes this one is great .... as is the material being part of the "Mythic Sounds" releases with Michelot + Clarke (+ Barney Wilen on a couple of tracks) from 1959 ....

Yeah, on the Mythic Sounds there is the Zoot Sims material.

About the IMHO much better album of Bud in Paris playing a lot of Monk :

This here is the first edition of LP I bought in Germany in 1979. But Francis was a master in making errors about recording dates. I´m sure it was done in 1961 and not 1962. On the other hand, he pre-dated a lot of home made recordings to make people believe that his friendship with Bud lasted much longer.

Unbenannt.png

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

This here is the first edition of LP I bought in Germany in 1979. But Francis was a master in making errors about recording dates. I´m sure it was done in 1961 and not 1962. On the other hand, he pre-dated a lot of home made recordings to make people believe that his friendship with Bud lasted much longer.

Unbenannt.png

Didn`t know that .....