So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

I have had this disc on repeat play in the car for the past couple of days --

81HkIlZvIwL._SY355_.jpg

Such a really great album.  Far from being a quick and cheap attempt to cash in on the then raging Beatlemania, this album presents some top notch arrangements by Benny Carter and Ernie Freeman which recast the works of Lennon & McCartney as sophisticated adult pop music.  The effect is never clever or condescending.  "If I Fell" is given a bossa nova feel.  "A Hard Day's Night" is given a Peggy Lee "Fever" style arrangement.  And check out this glorious arrangement by Benny Carter, which, for me, is far better than the Beatles original version --

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Classic, but as many pre-quintet Prestige recordings it´s strange you have one tune (2 takes) from the legendary session with Bags and Monk, and the great 1954 tracks with Sonny Rollins. It´s remarkable that the Rollins tunes became jazz classics, Doxy, Airegin, Oleo: All the kids at music schools learn that and all guys play it on jam sessions.

The next will be Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants. More stuff from the session with Monk, and really strange one Round Midnight from 2 years later done by the classic first quintet, which would have suited more to the four 1956 albums.

Strange, it seems that this autumn I´m a bit on a "Prestige-Groove". Maybe for historical reasons, since during my youth when a lot of classic albums went OOP, the legendary two LP Prestige sets were easy to purchase and not expensive. It was only later that I re-bought them for the original covers.......

images.jpg

54 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

A Classic, but as many pre-quintet Prestige recordings it´s strange you have one tune (2 takes) from the legendary session with Bags and Monk, and the great 1954 tracks with Sonny Rollins. It´s remarkable that the Rollins tunes became jazz classics, Doxy, Airegin, Oleo: All the kids at music schools learn that and all guys play it on jam sessions.

The next will be Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants. More stuff from the session with Monk, and really strange one Round Midnight from 2 years later done by the classic first quintet, which would have suited more to the four 1956 albums.

Strange, it seems that this autumn I´m a bit on a "Prestige-Groove". Maybe for historical reasons, since during my youth when a lot of classic albums went OOP, the legendary two LP Prestige sets were easy to purchase and not expensive. It was only later that I re-bought them for the original covers.......

images.jpg

Desert island material ....

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Desert island material ....

I've recently commented on both these sessions: Amazing that Sonny debuted three of his best known compositions on a session he didn't lead and that the Dec 24,'54 session with Monk has never been released on one cd.  I think it would all fit, even with the dialogues and false starts. 

2 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I've recently commented on both these sessions: Amazing that Sonny debuted three of his best known compositions on a session he didn't lead and that the Dec 24,'54 session with Monk has never been released on one cd.  I think it would all fit, even with the dialogues and false starts. 

The Dec 24, '54 session is complete as the final disc of

51xQH7lwJkL.jpg