Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My personal "Prestige Festival" is going on:

This one was my first Sonny Rollins as a leader , purchased 40 years ago.

It´s interesting that my next Rollins album would be the much heavier "Stuttgart 1963" with Don Cherry, no piano, Henry Grimes and Billy Higgins. I still remember I was even more impressed by the Rollins-Cherry connection.

Unbenannt.png

R-2870533-1304919747_jpeg.jpg

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

My personal "Prestige Festival" is going on:

This one was my first Sonny Rollins as a leader , purchased 40 years ago.

It´s interesting that my next Rollins album would be the much heavier "Stuttgart 1963" with Don Cherry, no piano, Henry Grimes and Billy Higgins. I still remember I was even more impressed by the Rollins-Cherry connection.

Unbenannt.png

There's a video where Sonny talks about how much he enjoyed playing with Don Cherry.

Just now, paul secor said:

There's a video where Sonny talks about how much he enjoyed playing with Don Cherry.

Same on Don Cherry  about Sonny Rollins.

I remember a DB interview with Don Cherry and at the end of the interview Don was told that Sonny Rollins is playing that night. Don Cherry answered "I think I´m a wanted man" and hurried away, probably to jam with Sonny. This must have been around 1980...., much later than the recorded collaboration from ´62-63

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Weed legal in Canada? The whole country?

Yes. With some restrictions on where it can be bought and sold. The method of distribution varies a bit with each province. Also a big issue for the police is how to detect drivers who are driving "high".  The government is running ads on TV warning people not to drive under the influence.  Of course, the big attraction for the government is the tax take on legal pot (just like booze). 

And I say all this as one who never indulges.  

Edited by John Tapscott

Wow. I'm sure this has gotten coverage here, but I've not seen it, at least not that I can remember.

I no longer indulge, and am wary of treating it too casually, but from both a legal and revenue standpoint, it seems enlightened.

To say nothing of the comedy that will no doubt ensue about the entire northern border of the continental US being lit. The comedic mind reels! :g

18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

More samba-jazz:

61UZF5ZuO8L._SS455.jpg

Brazilian Trio - Constelação (Motéma, 2012)
with Helio Alves, Nilson Matta & Duduka Da Fonseca

This trio has only released two albums so far -- Constelação and Forests (Zoho, 2008).  I hope they release more -- because they make terrific music together.

I like Helio. I saw him once.  Also have one of his albums, Trios.