Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, soulpope said:

Larry Ridley on the title trackĀ :w.... a classic in my house ....

Yes, a fantastic performance. :tupĀ 

I think I'd award the blue ribbon to Dex for his playing on "Body & Soul." He makes that old warhorse sound fresh.

Ā 

Ā 

NP:

71QyQfBk35L._SL498_.jpg

Thelonious Monk - Paris 1969 (Blue Note)
The quartet is rounded out byĀ Charlie Rouse and twoĀ sidemen with whom I'm unfamiliar: Nate Hygelund (b) and Paris Wright (d).

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Why do they call him that?

According to the liner notes, just a nickname he picked up from a song he performed when he moved to Minneapolis from the South. He grew up in Arkansas listening to Howlin' Wolf (whom he knew as just Chester Burnett), Sonny Boy Williamson, Joe Willie Wilkins, and the otherĀ musicians who recorded for the King Biscuit radio show. HeĀ recorded for Alan Lomax at the age of 18 in 1957 backing Forest City Joe (issuedĀ as part of a series onĀ Atlantic).
Sadly, he passed before this CD was issued.

R-8488931-1462619626-5935.jpeg.jpg

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Shake That Thing (Preservation Hall). Recorded on one day in 2001, this remains one of the best traditional jazz albums of the 21st century so far. 21 musicians, all of whom played regularly at the Hall at the time, play in various combinations on eight tracks.

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, a fantastic performance. :tupĀ 

I think I'd award the blue ribbon to Dex for his playing on "Body & Soul." He makes that old warhorse sound fresh.

Ā 

Ā 

NP:

71QyQfBk35L._SL498_.jpg

Thelonious Monk - Paris 1969 (Blue Note)
The quartet is rounded out byĀ Charlie Rouse and twoĀ sidemen with whom I'm unfamiliar: Nate Hygelund (b) and Paris Wright (d).

I have the DVD with the whole concert. From about 1969 it became quite hard for Monk to keep a steady rhythm section. Me too IĀ“m unfamiliar with them, but the bass player is very strong, but Paris Wright (the son of the bass player Herman Wright) just hurries up, on some tunes he gets faster and faster, and he has a strange way to hold the sticks.

The best tracks are those two where Philly J.J. sits in, thatĀ“s were you really hear how drums have to sound, and Monk starts to get much more involved.

Charlie Rouse is good as always, but I think it was his last tour with Monk.