• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

R-1458279-1221280209.jpeg.jpg

Presently disc 1.  Kicks off with the 1947 Carnegie Hall Concert, then two tracks with Machito.   I normally give up trying to research this in Lord. It's a bit of a mess but some fine Bird.mostly in good airshot sound.

It can be confusing and sometimes frustrating trying to keep tabs on all the the live Bird that's out there, but it's worth it. And if you get tired of trying to figure out what's what, just listening always works. In fact, that probably works best.

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Is that any good? Strange concept & configuration (for me).

Very good indeed.

It sits on the continuum of his studio albums (I thought the live album a bit of a misstep). The strings a bit more foregrounded than on "Savior" but the sound's basically the same, plenty of trumpet. The rapper's on two or so tracks, the spoken word elements are a running thread, but not overly used, in the same way that AA's employed them on previous albums. If you've enjoyed the three previous studio albums then I think you'll feel the same about this one