• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Breakfast with

Johnny Otis - Back to jazz

R-976560-1180152924.jpeg.jpg

MG

Wow!  "Introducing Barbara Morrison" -- what year was that?  It was certainly a different time back then.  Not many white band leaders could get away with recording a song titled "Nigger, Please!" without being eviscerated on social media at the very least these days.

Edited by duaneiac

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I’m not usually a massive fan but this is a really excellent CD and at about £3 from HMV - a bargain. Love that German Impulse 2-in-1 series !

I'm not a reflexive Jarrett fan, but I think he made some SUPERB music with his "American Quartet" on Impulse.

Also agree completely regarding those Impulse 2-in-1 recordings. So much great music there!

R-3975637-1412707036-4198.jpeg.jpg

Georges Kazazian is an Egyptian oud player of Armenian descent. I stepped over one of his CDs in a sales bin many years ago, and liked it. Saw this one for a low price on discogs and like it too, and perhaps even more than Rabih Abou-Khalil's albums. Relaxed collective improvisations where the piano does not sound like an alien among oriental instruments, some nice composed passages in between. But what really gets me is the relaxed pace, the moderate tempos, these musicians taking their time. 

https://www.discogs.com/Georges-Kazazian-Dayra-Jazz/release/3975637