• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-3946624-1350143749-2076.jpeg.jpg  R-8911114-1471296319-7676.jpeg.jpg

Wadada Leo Smith / Louis Moholo-Moholo - Ancestors (TUM)

Charlie Parker - Rara Avis (Stash). After listening to Bird for 45 years, I only recently realized how poor a handle I had on his 1952-54 broadcasts from the Hi-Hat in Boston - there are more of these than I realized. I'm going through my CDs along with Yardbird Suite, Lawrence Koch's guide to Bird's music, and Plosin's online Parker discography. It looks like I'm missing one complete broadcast. This CD has a nice Hi-Hat session with Herb Pomeroy on trumpet.

Which one are you missing? 

57 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Miles Davis At Carnegie Hall - The Complete Concert (Columbia, 1961)

R-505770-1452447850-7245.jpeg.jpg R-505770-1452447848-7509.jpeg.jpg

I´ve heard the "So What" on a late 70´s sampler "Miles Davis-Greatest Hits" but it´s a shame I never purchased the whole album. This might be a good idea to purchase it finally. I have almost all Miles Columbia albums, only this one and "Sorcerer" and "Big Fun" are missing.

16 hours ago, soulpope said:

964207AF_05_zpsfw6ub9us.jpg

Beautiful ....

Fantastic, my favourite Art Farmer album with a superb rhythm section (Cedar Walton Trio). I have it on LP (signed by Art Farmer himself with a dedication ) and CD.

10 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I´ve heard the "So What" on a late 70´s sampler "Miles Davis-Greatest Hits" but it´s a shame I never purchased the whole album. This might be a good idea to purchase it finally. I have almost all Miles Columbia albums, only this one and "Sorcerer" and "Big Fun" are missing.

Any special reason for missing out on "Sorcerer" .... ? To me - together with ""Miles Smiles" and "Nefertiti" - the crown jewels courtesy of the "2nd Quintet" ....

On 27/10/2018 at 3:27 PM, duaneiac said:

Wow!  "Introducing Barbara Morrison" -- what year was that?  It was certainly a different time back then.  Not many white band leaders could get away with recording a song titled "Nigger, Please!" without being eviscerated on social media at the very least these days.

You're right, but there was a point to it, wasn't there? And it shouldn't be criticised on grounds of political correctness.

It was 1977. Those were the days when political correctness was confined to Belgium. Unfortunately it escaped and we ALL have to conceal our real feelings for pretty well everything nowadays, despite there being no real reason why we should all be nice to one another.

MG

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Any special reason for missing out on "Sorcerer" .... ? To me - together with ""Miles Smiles" and "Nefertiti" - the crown jewels courtesy of the "2nd Quintet" ....

Maybe because it´s "in between". See, I love the "2nd Quintet" but most of all the live albums,and of course "E.S.P." and "Miles Smiles". But even "Nefertiti" doesn´t exite me in the same manner and so I kind of hopped to "Miles in the Sky", "Filles de Kilimanjaro" and "In a Silent Way" . It´s that way, maybe after some of the "2nd quinted" I was curious what will happen next, with Chick Corea and Dave Holland replacing Herbie and Ron ? with adding electric piano and trying out Fender Bass......

Anyway, in the Viennese Scene of that time "Filles de Kilimanjaro" had a special meaning to me. Viennese folks of my generation many of them loved that music, but didn´t know how to pronounce album titles, especially if it was in French. I ´ll never forget how guys would ask you "hast Du schon die Fil-les de Killi-Mann-Tscharo" ? (and you must add the "L" as the special Viennese "L" :D

13 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Maybe because it´s "in between". See, I love the "2nd Quintet" but most of all the live albums,and of course "E.S.P." and "Miles Smiles". But even "Nefertiti" doesn´t exite me in the same manner and so I kind of hopped to "Miles in the Sky", "Filles de Kilimanjaro" and "In a Silent Way" . It´s that way, maybe after some of the "2nd quinted" I was curious what will happen next, with Chick Corea and Dave Holland replacing Herbie and Ron ? with adding electric piano and trying out Fender Bass......

Anyway, in the Viennese Scene of that time "Filles de Kilimanjaro" had a special meaning to me. Viennese folks of my generation many of them loved that music, but didn´t know how to pronounce album titles, especially if it was in French. I ´ll never forget how guys would ask you "hast Du schon die Fil-les de Killi-Mann-Tscharo" ? (and you must add the "L" as the special Viennese "L" :D

Interesting .... for me Miles lost some of his appeal as soon as electric instruments started taking over and it took me considerable time until I learned  to appreciate "In The Silent Way" and subsequent stuff ....

The Viennese "L" also made "Miles Smiles" sort of a stunner :D ....

While commuting into work this morning after a week of vacation:

51-9ufkOa5L._SY495_.jpg

Johnny Lytle - The Soulful Rebel and People & Love (Milestone; reissued by Real Gone Music)
Outstanding music -- jazz or soul jazz or whatever it is.

NP:

51qX4PHdiVL._SS495_.jpg

Kenny Barron Trio - Lemuria-Seascape (Candid)
One of my favorite Kenny Barron records. It's like home cooking; it may be familiar but it always tastes good.