So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

You might well have loved them live. I think I saw them 6 times, the first in 1974 when they were touring behind Mysterious Traveler, the last in 1984. It was always an adventure, the good kind. Even when the Jaco antics got weird, Wayne would project his royal Wayne-ness into the mix and that was that.

Adventure - not just elation, but adventure - at a jazz gig. Those were the days!

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

You might well have loved them live. I think I saw them 6 times, the first in 1974 when they were touring behind Mysterious Traveler, the last in 1984. It was always an adventure, the good kind. Even when the Jaco antics got weird, Wayne would project his royal Wayne-ness into the mix and that was that.

Adventure - not just elation, but adventure - at a jazz gig. Those were the days!

I did see Jaco as a leader live once in Austin  (1982 I think), and Joe Zawinul at the Caravan of Dreams a few years later--the latter was especially good, so yes I missed out on something I probably would have loved.

From last weekend's concert I attended, Dejohnette Coltrane Garrison, Matt Garrison sounds adventurous to me. 

Edited by kh1958

3 hours ago, BillF said:

6a00e008dca1f08834022ad39e50df200d-500wi

Hmmm.  What's "The Nandnow"? :D  I'm curious what you thought of this one, Bill.  I like Benny Green's playing ever since I first saw him in Joshua Redman's and Ray Brown's bands.  I have a few of his CDs, but I admit it has been years since I've checked out any of his new releases.  So much music, so little time.

9 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Hmmm.  What's "The Nandnow"? :D  I'm curious what you thought of this one, Bill.  I like Benny Green's playing ever since I first saw him in Joshua Redman's and Ray Brown's bands.  I have a few of his CDs, but I admit it has been years since I've checked out any of his new releases.  So much music, so little time.

Green is always a sound in-the-tradition pianist (and there are precious few left!) This album is partly a showcase for youthful bop (is that a contradiction in terms?) vocalist Veronica Swift, whose singing is acceptable.

Edited by BillF