Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-10513902-1499002513-4509.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1.  An intriguing concept to me, combining two of my favorite things -- jazz music and the Sherlock Holmes stories.  The music (small group swing) stands up quite well on its own.  One needn't have any familiarity or even interest in the stories to enjoy it.  The narration does add some atmospheric background and invites the listeners to hear certain soloists as characters from the tales.  I had to wait a long time to find an affordable copy of this CD, but after hearing Disc 1, I'm glad I finally snared a copy of it

VAN_MORRISON_WAVELENGTH-174762.jpg

An absolutely essential album to me.  The whole album is very uplifting, but the title song is sheer musical ecstasy.

I'll be going to see him in Oakland next week.  It's been several years since I've seen him perform, but each of the times I have seen him have been quite memorable.  I hope he's still giving it his all in concert these days.

More VM:

R-7819147-1449438960-7147.jpeg.jpg

and then the DVD and CD 3 from

R-8672258-1466334995-2283.jpeg.jpg

which both document July 23 & 24, 1973 performances at The Rainbow in London.

Granted, I pretty much stopped listening to new rock/pop music back at the turn of the century.  However, if there is any rock/pop music being made today that can surpass the depth and beauty of these performances with the Caledonia Soul Orchestra, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by duaneiac

7 hours ago, duaneiac said:

VAN_MORRISON_WAVELENGTH-174762.jpg

An absolutely essential album to me.  The whole album is very uplifting, but the title song is sheer musical ecstasy.

I'll be going to see him in Oakland next week.  It's been several years since I've seen him perform, but each of the times I have seen him have been quite memorable.  I hope he's still giving it his all in concert these days.

I saw him a couple of years ago and was just as enthralled as I was the first time I saw him nearly 50 years ago.  I saw him about 5 times in between and I don't think I ever saw him do an encore  though the band keeps playing as if he might reappear. 

51vqIsOBQTL.jpg

I usually avoid this label, but this disc collects some rare broadcast reordings from 1945-46 issued on a number od rare LP issues that are hard to find. Great music throughout.

Plus, I got a new copy dirt cheap.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Lamplighters-Jazz-Sessions/release/2754639

Where else can you hear Stan Kenton with Ray Linn and Zutty Singleton (!) playing like in a Harlem bar impromptu session?

Edited by mikeweil

3 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

51vqIsOBQTL.jpg

I usually avoid this label, but this disc collects some rare broadcast reordings from 1945-46 issued on a number od rare LP issues that are hard to find. Great music throughout.

Plus, I got a new copy dirt cheap.

Years ago I purchased and listened to A Jazz Hour With Coleman Hawkins and Roy Eldridge and remember liking it. 

Edited by Brad