Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MI0000165589.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

These various Jazz Giants Play CDs  culled from the combined Fantasy group of labels make for good listening when you want to hear something, but you can't decide if you want to hear a piano trio or an organ trio or some West Coast jazz or a hard bop session or . . .  Here you get a little bit of it all, all performed by some of the top musicians.  The stand out track on this disc for me came from (no surprise here) Lester Young who just did what he did so well on this version of "Jeepers Creepers".

617KBtdNIdL._SX355_.jpg

71dOtnAiO0L._SX355_.jpg

It's nice to have these two A&M albums on CD, even if this is apparently a needle-drop.  The "live" tracks on the More Than Before album are really great!

MI0003051785.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

61KNCL-4qZL.jpg

This was a dandy compilation and that concluding track by the O'Jays is just magnificent.  I think the only track I already had from here was the Nina Simone one.  Many of the other tracks I'd never even heard before.  I give this one a big thumbs up!:tup

5013929084339.jpg

5013929084339.jpg

Disc 1 of 2.  This era of Ramsey Lewis' career is mostly unfamiliar to me.  You always see copies of his Columbia albums in used record stores and they have always been played, so there must have been an audience that loved this music.  This is a handy way for me to sample this stage of his music.