• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

71YKG-JRbAL._SX500_.jpg

McCoy Tyner - Supertrios (Milestone)
Listening to the cuts with RC and Tony right now.

A great album. Remember the exitement when it came out, around 1978. This together with "The Milestone Allstars" and other similar albums was tops then.

All those who like Supertrios, might also love the 1980 album "Four Quartets", where you have on trio and on each side of the then existing double LP another soloist, one with Hubbard, one more abstract one with Abercrombie, one with Bobby Hutcherson and on with Athur Blythe.

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Looking forward to this as X-Mas goodie ....

Must be great. Saw Woody Shaw with this group (Steve Turre, Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus) at "Konzerthaus" early in 1983. At Bremen I think Steve Turre had left the band. I remember especially Tony Reedus as a top drummer, a very exiting group that worked together for serveral years. Later, the situation was much unhappier for Woody since he was forced to work as a single with local picked up rhythm sections.......

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Must be great. Saw Woody Shaw with this group (Steve Turre, Mulgrew Miller, Stafford James and Tony Reedus) at "Konzerthaus" early in 1983. At Bremen I think Steve Turre had left the band. I remember especially Tony Reedus as a top drummer, a very exiting group that worked together for serveral years. Later, the situation was much unhappier for Woody since he was forced to work as a single with local picked up rhythm sections.......

c455f4855f4f129934d742b4c7db4c4e1e4cba23

And even here some magic was feasible ....

I saw the group with Turre late Jan or early Feb 1983 in London. So that gig plus the one Gheorge mentions above must have been some of the last with Turre in the lineup? Don’t recall any coolness or bad vibes on the bandstand - quite the opposite in fact.

’In My Own Sweet Way’ on the German label is a late Shaw classic..

Remember the 1980s and early 90s for some very good gigs which Steve Turre took part in. The Woody Shaw, Lester Bowie’s Brass Fantasy and the Gillespie All-Star Big Band for starters.

Edited by sidewinder