Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5126YDACR1L._SX495_.jpg

Duke Ellington Presents . . . (Bethlehem)
Since this was a one-off recording for Bethlehem (and since about half the cuts are standards rather than Ellington compositions), it's easy to overlook -- but I really like it. Just listen to "Laura," a feature for Paul Gonsalves. Phew, that guy knew how to caress a ballad. (Of course, the same could be said of Hodges' playing on "Day Dream.") ... This is also the last record before Ellington's "comeback" at the Newport Jazz Festival. Ellington recorded DE Presents in February 1956, and Newport was in July of that same year.

Edited by HutchFan

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

5126YDACR1L._SX495_.jpg

Since this was a one-off recording for Bethlehem (and since about half the cuts are standards rather than Ellington compositions), it's easy to overlook -- but I really like it. Just listen to "Laura," a feature for Paul Gonsalves. Phew, that guy knew how to caress a ballad. (Of course, the same could be said of Hodges' playing on "Day Dream.") ... This is also the last record before Ellington's "comeback" at the Newport Jazz Festival. Ellington recorded DE Presents in February 1956, and Newport was in July of that same year.

You missed this recording of Ellington originals:

the-duke-historically-speaking-1956-duke

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

5126YDACR1L._SX495_.jpg

He did enough recording at those Feb 7-8 sessions that they released two records: the other one is called "Historically speaking and it's all older compositions by Ellington or Strayhorn.   You may have all of the 23 songs on 1 cd set. Before Newport   he also did a couple of small sessions for "the stockpile" which were released much later I believe. (I am becoming a pedant in my old age.) 

Just now, medjuck said:

He did enough recording at those Feb 7-8 sessions that they released two records: the other one is called "Historically speaking and it's all older compositions by Ellington or Strayhorn.   You may have all of the 23 songs on 1 cd set. Before Newport   he also did a couple of small sessions for "the stockpile" which were released much later I believe. (I am becoming a pedant in my old age.) 

Yep. See Chuck's note above. 

Can't get anything by you guys! ;)