So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

51fckUZ3rRL._SS500_.jpg

Sonny Stitt Quartet featuring Jimmy Jones - The Sonny Side of Stitt (Fresh Sound, 2 CDs)
Now streaming selected cuts via Amazon Prime. This set collects four LPs originally released on Roost.

I've been on a Stitt kick lately. Feel like I've sort of "broke through" with him. In the past, I'd never given much thought to Stitt one way or the other. Wasn't a fan, wasn't not a fan. Now, I'm definitely a fan. ...I also discovered that I like Stitt's music best when he's NOT playing super-fast, boppish lines. Plus, I'd rather hear him play tenor rather than alto.

Anyhow, it's fun to discover someone "new" when they've been sitting under your nose in plain sight for forever. :) 

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/1/2019 at 10:01 AM, HutchFan said:

Marzz, that looks interesting. I wasn't even aware of it. Good stuff?

Yes! :tup

I'm not sure if you've already sampled it by now, but I think very good to excellent big band meets (some) free improv. Longer tracks are the best, imo others are a little short. Some very good solos throughout. Some wordless singing by Norma Winstone throughout (gorgeous) and sings "proper" on the last track. Album definitely works for me! Unfortunate that it seems unknown, I had a cassette dub back in the 90s and put off buying an LP copy as there seemed to be plenty around. I know it was talked about quite a bit down here. Anyway, I jumped on the CD when it was released. At least that's still available.

No doubt you seen it but I'll post the discogs link anyway. Check out that line-up!! Ignore that selling price, much cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Wheeler-Song-For-Someone/release/2312288

Edit: I can't find it on youtube, etc. Have you been able to sample this?

Edited by Marzz

6 hours ago, Marzz said:

Yes! :tup

I'm not sure if you've already sampled it by now, but I think very good to excellent big band meets (some) free improv. Longer tracks are the best, imo others are a little short. Some very good solos throughout. Some wordless singing by Norma Winstone throughout (gorgeous) and sings "proper" on the last track. Album definitely works for me! Unfortunate that it seems unknown, I had a cassette dub back in the 90s and put off buying an LP copy as there seemed to be plenty around. I know it was talked about quite a bit down here. Anyway, I jumped on the CD when it was released. At least that's still available.

No doubt you seen it but I'll post the discogs link anyway. Check out that line-up!! Ignore that selling price, much cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Wheeler-Song-For-Someone/release/2312288

Edit: I can't find it on youtube, etc. Have you been able to sample this?

Believe it or not, BBC TV actually did a short Kenny Wheeler documentary which included footage taken at the recording session (CTS, Wembley I think). It was rebroadcast around 2005.

The Wheeler 75th and 80th Birthday Big Bands had a similarly eclectic mixture of artists and styles - those bands were full of his friends and colleagues. Duncan Lamont at one end of the spectrum, Evan Parker at the other. Very glad I caught both of those tours.

The original Incus ‘Song For Someone’ LP release is quite rare I think. There was a subsequent issue by Incus on thinner vinyl which is more obiquitous. The CD was put out by Evan Parker along with several other choice Wheeler (new) issues at the time. Invaluable !

Edited by sidewinder