Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

gray29651.jpg

I forgot about the little quote of "Those Were The Days" (the theme from All In The Family) RRK uses on here.  I suppose I get this image of my musical heroes of the past wherein they dwelled in some lofty realm where all they did was play music, listen to music, think about music, talk about music.  But they were all folks like us -- they consumed pop culture just like we did.  I wonder if The Flying Nun that RRK "saw" was better than the one the rest of us were exposed to.

R-3701617-1364355982-7035.jpeg.jpg

6909299-l.jpg?v=1538348400

The one disc "best of" version.

NP:

61%2BUgyq3CqL._SS400_.jpg

The Luis Russell Story: 1929-1934 (Retrieval)
Loads of fun. ... And "Red" Allen!!!

Earlier:

61clt36yYQL._SS400_.jpg

Lucky Thompson - I Offer You (Groove Merchant)

511ZP9G2AFL._SS400_.jpg

Lucky Thompson - S/T (Inner City; from Vogue)

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

Image result for ben webster see you at the fair

That's my "desert-island" Ben! :tup:tup:tup

Edited by HutchFan

Chet Baker live at "Uncle Poe´s Carnegie Hall" Hamburg 1979. That´s one of my favourite Baker records, I like the really long and extended tracks on all records from that NDR series.

Chet Baker ist in top form, and Phil Marcovitz is a great pianist and ideal partner for Chet. And it´s great to have the legendary Mr. Rassinfosse on bass, and a rare occasion to hear Chet Baker with a drummer. I´m a drums freak and actually Baker is the only musician I´d listen to when playing without drums.

I hope there will be further albums from that NDR Uncle Poe´s Series, I allready have most of them with exception of those who are not typical jazz musicians so it might be music I´m not listenig to.....

On 1/2/2019 at 0:51 AM, sidewinder said:

Believe it or not, BBC TV actually did a short Kenny Wheeler documentary which included footage taken at the recording session (CTS, Wembley I think). It was rebroadcast around 2005.

The Wheeler 75th and 80th Birthday Big Bands had a similarly eclectic mixture of artists and styles - those bands were full of his friends and colleagues. Duncan Lamont at one end of the spectrum, Evan Parker at the other. Very glad I caught both of those tours.

The original Incus ‘Song For Someone’ LP release is quite rare I think. There was a subsequent issue by Incus on thinner vinyl which is more obiquitous. The CD was put out by Evan Parker along with several other choice Wheeler (new) issues at the time. Invaluable !

Thank you very much for mentioning that documentary. I didn't know that but I think I found it on youtube - will be watching that tonight :tup

and speaking of Wheeler, now playing...

Tony Oxley Quintet - The Baptised Traveller (1969)

2419shc.jpg

Edited by Marzz

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Chet Baker live at "Uncle Poe´s Carnegie Hall" Hamburg 1979. That´s one of my favourite Baker records, I like the really long and extended tracks on all records from that NDR series.

Chet Baker ist in top form, and Phil Marcovitz is a great pianist and ideal partner for Chet. And it´s great to have the legendary Mr. Rassinfosse on bass, and a rare occasion to hear Chet Baker with a drummer. I´m a drums freak and actually Baker is the only musician I´d listen to when playing without drums.

I hope there will be further albums from that NDR Uncle Poe´s Series, I allready have most of them with exception of those who are not typical jazz musicians so it might be music I´m not listenig to.....

The first two batches came within a couple of months, the second of these in early 2018 - so hopefully this not a sign the series is over (as contradition to The New Woody Shaw Quintet ‎– Vol.1 At Onkel Pö's Carnegie Hall Hamburg 1982) ....