Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41pNi9-NRdL._SS500.jpg

Charlie Mariano - Crystal Bells (CMP, 1980)
with Charlie Mariano (as, ss, nadaswaram, bamboo fl); Stu Goldberg (p, el p, synth); Gene Perla (b); Don Alias (d, perc, cga, vo)

On this one, Mariano is paired with the excellent Stone Alliance Perla & Alias rhythm team. Add Goldberg's synth and the music sounds sort of like Weather Report -- but not in a derivative sense. It's just similarly expansive, world-fusion-y, percussive, and electric.

... Or, as Forrest Gump would say, "I like it a lot."

More Mariano on CMP:

51vukGWAkCL._SS500.jpg

Philip Catherine, Charlie Mariano, Jasper van 't Hof - Sleep My Love (CMP, 1979)
As the title and cover image imply, this music is dreamy and floating -- very different from Crystal Bells. Earlier in the Seventies, these guys billed themselves (and recorded) as Pork Pie. Not sure why they dropped the name for this record.

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Marzz - Would you mind sharing the URL?  :)

Ah, sorry I meant to. Here it is. Video says it's part 1 of 2 but apparently part 2 is "blocked" in Australia. You might have no problem though. The title to search via youtube is - Kenny Wheeler (2/2) [BBC Omnibus 1977].

Alternatively, I found a different link that should work. Both parts included here, as well as a nice interview with Wheeler.

https://www.rockpeaks.com/video/w/Wheeler-Kenny/Omnibus-UK-TV-series-1977/documentary-BBC-Omnibus-22

Also, I then ended up enjoying another interesting video with Norma Winstone & Evan Parker sharing memories about Wheeler. "Song for Someone" album is even mentioned (very briefly).

Edited by Marzz

1 hour ago, Marzz said:

Ah, sorry I meant to. Here it is. Video says it's part 1 of 2 but apparently part 2 is "blocked" in Australia. You might have no problem though. The title to search via youtube is - Kenny Wheeler (2/2) [BBC Omnibus 1977].

Alternatively, I found a different link that should work. Both parts included here, as well as a nice interview with Wheeler.

https://www.rockpeaks.com/video/w/Wheeler-Kenny/Omnibus-UK-TV-series-1977/documentary-BBC-Omnibus-22

Also, I then ended up enjoying another interesting video with Norma Winstone & Evan Parker sharing memories about Wheeler. "Song for Someone" album is even mentioned (very briefly).

Thanks for posting these videos. I have this on DVD somewhere but couldn’t previously find it on Youtube. Interestingly, looks like the late Alan Downey is in the trumpets but don’t think he is credited on the album. Same for Henry Lowther. Dave Horler on valve trombone was also there on those 75th and 80th birthday concerts. Alfie Reece on tuba was on ‘Windmill Tilter’ !

Edited by sidewinder