So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Earlier:

51%2B9TFBSQQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Disc 1 of 2, which contains the episodes "The Great Regent's Park Swim" (which features Major Dennis Bloodknock's showstopping performance of "The Curry & Rice Waltz") and "The Space Age" (which features Major Dennis Bloodknock's showstopping performance of "The Darjeeling One-Step"), both from the Fall of '57.  The latter program also has a rare instrumental feature by the Ray Ellington Quartet.  Usually the group's numbers showcased the leader's vocals, so it was nice to hear the group stretch out a bit on "Satin Doll".  On the first program, harmonica master Max Geldray played a number which I only know as "The Christmas Blues", but that would seem an odd choice for an Oct. program, so I wonder if that melody has another non-seasonal title.

Now playing:

51JJAdlHAsL._SY355_.jpg

This edition from the EU American Jazz Classics label also includes the album

51QyrCxmwhL._SX355_.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Earlier:

51%2B9TFBSQQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Disc 1 of 2, which contains the episodes "The Great Regent's Park Swim" (which features Major Dennis Bloodknock's showstopping performance of "The Curry & Rice Waltz") and "The Space Age" (which features Major Dennis Bloodknock's showstopping performance of "The Darjeeling One-Step"), both from the Fall of '57.  The latter program also has a rare instrumental feature by the Ray Ellington Quartet.  Usually the group's numbers showcased the leader's vocals, so it was nice to hear the group stretch out a bit on "Satin Doll".  On the first program, harmonica master Max Geldray played a number which I only know as "The Christmas Blues", but that would seem an odd choice for an Oct. program, so I wonder if that melody has another non-seasonal title.

Around 1960 in the company of fellow student Jack Massarik, later to be jazz correspondent of the Evening Standard, I met Ray Ellington at a Tubby Hayes Quartet session in a Manchester cellar club. Ray told us that his favourite music was what Hayes was playing, but that he had to make a living, so played what you hear on the Goons records.

Max Geldray was one hell of an (unsung) harmonica player.

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

91Dc1GKnpjL._SX355_.jpg

:tup

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Kiyoshi Koyama’s greatest hour (along with the Clifford Brown) ! :tup

Indeed.

However I'd also include The Complete Sarah Vaughan On Mercury, and The Complete Dinah Washington On Mercury which , according to the booklet, are'researched and compiled ' by Kiyoshi Koyama.

Related image

Related image

Disc 1

Image result for nat king cole billy may sessions

The Missus wanted to hear Papa Loves Mambo.

Played all of Disc 1. Superb sound quality and just about my favourite Nat Cole session.

Image result for sonny clark trio time

Image result for johnny coles warm sound

Edited by kinuta

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Around 1960 in the company of fellow student Jack Massarik, later to be jazz correspondent of the Evening Standard, I met Ray Ellington at a Tubby Hayes Quartet session in a Manchester cellar club. Ray told us that his favourite music was what Hayes was playing, but that he had to make a living, so played what you hear on the Goons records.

Max Geldray was one hell of an (unsung) harmonica player.

Wow!  So cool that you got to meet Ray Ellington.  I do like his singing and he was a versatile performer able to convincingly perform ballads, blues, bebop, R&B, etc.  It was just a pleasant surprise to hear an instrumental selection by the quartet for a change.

I agree completely about Max Geldray.  His talent should be much better known/remembered.

R-653198-1437649953-5189.jpeg.jpg  R-2678314-1296220594.jpeg.jpg  61orMaIb1YL._SX355_.jpg

Johnny Dyani - Song for Biko (Steeplechase)

Warne Marsh - Music for Prancing (Mode/V.S.O.P). Some really annoying electronic noise crept in during the tape transfer or mastering of this CD. Somebody should have caught that. The music is great, though.

George Lewis - The Oxford Series, Vol. 1 (American Music). Lewis's best band, in my opinion, was the short-lived version with Percy Humphrey on trumpet. They're caught here in relaxed form at a party in 1952.