• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dr. Elwood "Woody" Wong, the inspiration behind the above number, passed away at his home in Palo Alto, CA on Dec. 5th according to an obit printed in the San Jose Mercury News yesterday.  Dr. Wong was 90.  As a dentist, he served a number of notable musicians including Woody Herman, Stan Getz, Sonny Stitt and Richie Cole.  He was the brother of the jazz writer/broadcaster/educator, the late Dr. Herb Wong.

Edited by duaneiac

49 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Dr. Elwood "Woody" Wong, the inspiration behind the above number, passed away at his home in Palo Alto, CA on Dec. 5th according to an obit printed in the San Jose Mercury News yesterday.  Dr. Wong was 90.  As a dentist, he served a number of notable musicians including Woody Herman, Stan Getz, Sonny Stitt and Richie Cole.  He was the brother of the jazz writer/broadcaster/educator, the late Dr. Herb Wong.

I love this Nat Pierce chart. Captures the essence of what made the Herman Herd so special.  I always thought the chart was inspired by Herb,  who was a Herman fanatic and used to carry a leather case (a "bag") with him to the band's appearances. 

Edited by John Tapscott

28 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

I love this Nat Pierce chart. Captures the essence of what made the Herman Herd so special.  I always thought the chart was inspired by Herb,  who was a Herman fanatic and used to carry a leather case (a "bag") with him to the band's appearances. 

See, the story I read somewhere was that it was written in honor of Dr. Woody after he had performed some very successful and much needed dental work on Woody Herman himself (and maybe one or two members of his band at that time).  Most people assume it was written in honor of the more prominent Dr. Herb.  Of course, maybe that's completely wrong.  Perhaps some one like Marc Myers could contact the Wong family in the coming weeks to get them to clarify the matter.  Sounds like the story of the Wong brothers would make a good column for his blog.