• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81Asa-RlfkL._SS400_.jpg

Mongo Santamaria - Sofrito (Vaya, 1976)

Mmmmm, that looks good.  It might even go well with this

MI0002755419.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I know you are something of a Johnny Lytle fan, HutchFan, and this long out of print Muse CD is one that's definitely worth tracking down.  There's one track on here that is simply one of my all-time favorite pieces of recorded music.  I could not find a sample of it online, but the track is called "Should I Love You?" (man, that's a heavy question and you already know if you have to ask it, there ain't no easy answer) and it's a grooving, swinging ballad in which Johnny Lytle plays so soulfully and then halfway through Houston Person steps in to offer his sage advice on the subject.  It's a gorgeous track.  Also on this CD is on of the finest versions of "September Song", a real showcase for both Johnny Lytle and Stan Hope.  The whole disc is really great and the cover always makes me hungry!

5 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

81WvqnZilSL._SS500_.jpg

Carl Saunders is such an amazing trumpeter.  I have a couple of CDs featuring him as leader or co-leader and I got to hear him once as a member of Mike Vax's Stan Kenton Alumni/Legacy Band.  Hearing Mr. Saunders alongside Mr. Vax was a real treat.  On "Peanut Vendor:, they strolled down off the stage and out into the audience to prove they don't need no stinkin' mics.

7 hours ago, six string said:

I've been going through the Joe Henderson Mileston box since yesterday.  NP Disc 4 Pursuit Of Blackness followed by JH in Japan.  It's been a while since I toured this collection and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I have to confess, I bought a copy of that set when Fantasy was dumping them for dirt cheap and it still sits unopened on a shelf here.  So much music to get around to one of these days  . . .   Still, I'm glad I bought it when it was available.

Edited by duaneiac

1 hour ago, duaneiac said:

MI0002755419.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I know you are something of a Johnny Lytle fan, HutchFan, and this long out of print Muse CD is one that's definitely worth tracking down.  There's one track on here that is simply one of my all-time favorite pieces of recorded music.  I could not find a sample of it online, but the track is called "Should I Love You?" (man, that's a heavy question and you already know if you have to ask it, there ain't no easy answer) and it's a grooving, swinging ballad in which Johnny Lytle plays so soulfully and then halfway through Houston Person steps in to offer his sage advice on the subject.  It's a gorgeous track.  Also on this CD is on of the finest versions of "September Song", a real showcase for both Johnny Lytle and Stan Hope.  The whole disc is really great and the cover always makes me hungry!

Thanks for the heads-up, duaneiac. I'll add it to my list. :tup 

NP:

710pKegvu5L._SY400_.jpg

George Colligan - Past-Present-Future (Criss Cross)
with Vincente Archer & Bill Stewart

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Carl Saunders is such an amazing trumpeter.  I have a couple of CDs featuring him as leader or co-leader and I got to hear him once as a member of Mike Vax's Stan Kenton Alumni/Legacy Band.  Hearing Mr. Saunders alongside Mr. Vax was a real treat.  On "Peanut Vendor:, they strolled down off the stage and out into the audience to prove they don't need no stinkin' mics.

I have to confess, I bought a copy of that set when Fantasy was dumping them for dirt cheap and it still sits unopened on a shelf here.  So much music to get around to one of these days  . . .   Still, I'm glad I bought it when it was available.

I bought it back then too but I've played it many times.  Often enough that  I've re-evaluated a few albums I didn't immediately fall for.  YMMV