• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

511xq3jmBXL.jpg

Fletcher Henderson: Yeah Man! (Hep)

It´s strange but maybe typical for my generation, that I only heard Yeah Man ! and other Fletcher Henderson stuff played by Sun Ra Arkestra. I know this is the wrong way to get in touch with it (like I only heard "Tiger Rag" on that 1947 Bands for Bonds with Bird and Diz and Lennie) . It´s only so that whenever I say I should try some traditional jazz listening, I say later baby not today.....,

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s strange but maybe typical for my generation, that I only heard Yeah Man ! and other Fletcher Henderson stuff played by Sun Ra Arkestra. I know this is the wrong way to get in touch with it (like I only heard "Tiger Rag" on that 1947 Bands for Bonds with Bird and Diz and Lennie) . It´s only so that whenever I say I should try some traditional jazz listening, I say later baby not today.....,

They sure were hard to come by - I remember wanting to hear Fletcher Hendrson recordings back in the 1970's after reading about them, and there was noting available until French CBS repressed "A Study In Frustration". I still have that 4 LP box.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I doubt this was typical for "our" generation. ;) It all depends on what style of jazz struck you initially (e.g. through radio) and what you preferred to stay with thereafter.  I knew I had no big problems stacking up on the pre-50s styles of jazz (funds permitting), but then the choice was easy in those mid-70s, with jazz rock/fusion on the one hand and avantgarde/free on the other being touted all over the place as what "jazz" (per se) was (supposed to be) all about (and "dixieland" thrown in for the easier listening habits within jazz) you just HAD to go exploring and searching extensively for what immediately appealed to you MORE, i.e. swing in my case (and bop very soon after). And once you started digging you did find stuff. 30s Fletcher Henderson was indeed a bit difficult to get hold of at that time, though. 20s Henderson was easier.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I doubt this was typical for "our" generation. ;) It all depends on what style of jazz struck you initially (e.g. through radio) and what you preferred to stay with thereafter.  I knew I had no big problems stacking up on the pre-50s styles of jazz (funds permitting), but then the choice was easy in those mid-70s, with jazz rock/fusion on the one hand and avantgarde/free on the other being touted all over the place as what "jazz" (per se) was (supposed to be) all about (and "dixieland" thrown in for the easier listening habits within jazz) you just HAD to go exploring and searching extensively for what immediately appealed to you MORE, i.e. swing in my case (and bop very soon after). And once you started digging you did find stuff. 30s Fletcher Henderson was indeed a bit difficult to get hold of at that time, though. 20s Henderson was easier.

Very interesting thoughts and a lot of truth in it. In my case I think that maybe the first "jazz" I may have heard through radio may have been some old styled Dixieland and it didn´t appeal to my tastes , and somehow I heard Miles Davis´  "Milestones" on a sampler that was titled "The Story of Jazz".  and something happened and I had to say to myself, if this is also "jazz" I must get more of it, and so I bought Miles´ "Steaming" and that´s how it started. And reading that Bird was Miles´ first idol and so on I had to dig back to Bird and Bop and it appealed the same way to me as the midfifties "hardbop", and paying attention to Trane´s solos it became searching after Trane´s stuff into the 60, and from Trane to Ornette, and then (it was the mid 70´s ). Somehow everything from Midforties Bop to late 60´s "New Thing" seemed to appeal to me, and it is much harder for me to dig more into the past.

I heard, that japanese fans have Similar tastes. They collect everything starting from bop to hardbop to post bop and so on and there seems to be a lesser audience for earlier styles.